Thread: Best of the shelf mackerel lures?..

Best of the shelf mackerel lures?..

Just wondering what other fishos best off the shelf mackerel lure is? Is it a laser pro king brown crazy deep? Maybe good old fashioned red head or maybe just a rigged pillie under a purple skirt?

Re: Best of the shelf mackerel lures?..

what works for me is the Rapala Xrap.....Glass ghost and the silver blue, great for wahoo also, wog head with a SP and pink skirt works a treat

We got 4 spannos on a laser pro king brown 2m a couple of years back.

The laser pro crazy deep in the flaming hot color works pretty good for spanish.

After about 4 days fishing my purple lazer pro is ready for the bin, but they still love it so much! Even with hardly any paint on it.
    Purple is my first choice then the blue pilchard colour.

the chrome pink 190 laser pro gets my vote .. funny enough there was a fishing show on the mackeral islands in WA a while back and they had a comp between all the colours and it won there also.. last year this one got hit 3 times more than anything else even when i was towing 4 diff colours.. the 2m variety outfished the same colour in crazy deep also for some reason.. but who knows maybe it will be different again this year..
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

The most successful lure we have had was a pink one, about 200mm, no name on it that I brought of ebay cheap. Just looked like any other cheap lure nothing special about it. Wish I had taken a photo of it. Lost it last Sunday off Mourilyan NQ, on the reef not on a fish.
    Next closest would be a pilchard or a gar floater for success rate.

TMC

The Lively Lures Blue Pilly is the first lure I put in the water when trolling for Spanish Mackerel/ Have caught fish on it everywhere from the Tweed Nine Mile through to off Weipa and lots of places in between. The blue mackerel colour is the preferred one, but the purple also works well. Second choice would be the 190mm Halco Laser Pro in Qantas (red / white) or any of the blues or purple colour. My general rule is if there is any bait like slimy mackerel, or the small tunas around, put out lures that closely resemble those species. Works well for me, especially off Double Island Point and at Sandy Cape Shoals off Fraser.

Cheers

Jeff

I have always wondered about the red/white, works well, but looks nothing like a slimy or tuna & what is purple in bait sized fish.Have a range of depths & colors, as they never seem to want the same. Silver if gar's around. Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Tailorfisho78 View Post
    Is it a laser pro king brown crazy deep?
    I would say King Brown 190 DD pulled at 8-10 knots. Qantas colours next followed by a Rapala Magnum 30 in blue
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Mack Bait blue up top with red/purple on bottom. Larger size. Trolled at around six kts. Also had good success with Laser Pro in variety of colours, but Mack Baits seem to work best for me.

Cuzza

190dd halco all time favorite

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I've got a Silver Yo-Zuri minnow that has been smashed to pieces, still works a treat though.

another vote for the 2m 190 laser pro in Chrome Pink, wouldn't go chasing macks with out it.