Thread: broken fly rod

broken fly rod

Today went to go for a fly fish drove to my spot leaned the rod against the car got somethin out closed the door and SNAP fly rod in door its a 7w fly 2 piece graphite rod the top section snapped so now im after either a new top section of rod or another 7w rod the top piece is approx 53 inches 7 eyes
    anyone got a rod for sale or the section. I live near brown plains

Re: broken fly rod

Wish it was that easy. You need to match the make and model. Sugest you contact the manufacturer. Generally they will ask you to send a peice of broken section including ferrule. Sage have done this twice for me cost including freight about 80bucks.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

join the Aus Saltwater flyfishing forum. There is always a few bargains in the classifieds there.

Depending on how far down it broke it may be able to be repaired. my 10wt salt rod broke about 450mm from the tip. I was able to glue an insert from a spinning rod tip section, approximately 100mm each side of the break, packing it with masking tape to get a really snug fit . After gluing , i bound over about 50mm each side with "a" grade thread and doped it with 2 pack erskine . So far so good. The action hasn't changed a hell of a lot, but a 10wt is probably more forgiving. Worth the try as there is nothing to lose.

What Dudley says is the way to go. There will be some loss of action but U will be able to live with I hope.

Ken
    Frazorodz