Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A thin band

A thin band

Gents,
    When trying to get a thin band like the one in this pic how do you get the ends to lay nice, ie, where the over lap is from when you start and the tail you cut off.

cheers
    Wayne.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: A thin band

That rod looks familiar. In short, lots of practice. I put all the cross overs under the guide frame. The biggest problem is to much tension which distorts thew thread, pulls it out of whack.
    Practice on a blank, use different tensions and find the one that works. Thread angle also comes in to it but tension is around 90% of the clean swap look

dissapointing Wayno, im sure with that title, i wasn't the only one who was expecting a g-string photo!!!

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

sorry for letting you down mate
    hope this makes up for it....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stuart,
    It was just that was doing a rod, came up against the prob and your post, first pic, was exactly what I need to do..

Ill go practise.

cheers
    w

hey wayno, hows the practice coming along

If he is anything like me, he is far to distracted by that girl with the can of beer warming near her snatch box.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    If he is anything like me, he is far to distracted by that girl with the can of beer warming near her snatch box.

I know what you mean. Now come on, get that can out of there and drunk before it heats up and get destroyed. Can't ruin a prefectly good can of beer like that!

Is that what you meant? No???
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Im using a C size silver thread and its sort of grainy up against the smooth coloured thread. Im getting better at it the more I do!!
    I tried taking a pic but I cant get in closer enough to see whats happening..

What size is the other thread your using? The trick to a level looking thread is to use all the same size thread. If anything, you can always use size A metalics or any trim bands against the larger C threads. At least that way the trims will look much cleaner. Trim bands while easy to do, can make or brake the whole bind. It took me ages to get them right, that is all the cross overs inline, just enough tension so the thread isn't distorted as well as enough packing so there are no gaps. The finer the metalic thread the cleaner it will look when coated. The thicker you go, the less cleaner it will look. Its funny, because many people at the rod building weekends seem to struggle with trim bands, but not many ask on this site.

im not backwards in going forwards.... I know there's a few good rod builders on here so why not ask... if you don't ask you'll never know...

right so some A metalic it is then....

Take some photos.

Im using a C size silver thread and its sort of grainy up against the smooth coloured thread. Im getting better at it the more I do!!
    I tried taking a pic but I cant get in closer enough to see whats happening..

What size is the rest of thread that your using? So if the black thread is size A, and your using metallic size C, then yes, it will look a bit crap IMO. Try to use metalic A at all times if you can, it looks much better. If only they made a metallic half as thick as A. I have used silk which is nice, but they dont make a metallic in that size.

What about Madiera 60# Metallic Stu, its a little more than half as thick as A thread.

Cheers
    Pedro