Thread: Gum Tree Theft

Gum Tree Theft

Found this on nine msn. Watch out if you're selling online!!!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...online-thieves

Re: Gum Tree Theft

From the article:

The theft has prompted Queensland police to issue a warning about selling items online, and to take down the number of every caller.

"Call them back on the number they give you – make an excuse maybe – then you can consider giving your address," Sergeant Jose Sarimiento advised.

--------------------------

That doesn't seem like useful advice to me. If your a crim and asked that question you will either use a throw away prepaid sim or a false address.

Maybe if you insist on a landline number but even then its a easy thing to get around.

I can't really see a way around the dilemma apart from meeting at a ramp but that's fairly impractical too....,

I think it would be better to just leave your security measures in place until you are hooking the trailer up to a car

Who could be bothered?
    I mean honestly they grow in the ground and can be found in pretty much any environment in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Who could be bothered?
    I mean honestly they grow in the ground and can be found in pretty much any environment in Australia.
    took me a moment but I got it.

I have always felt that gumtree is the worst second hand sales site in the whole internet, this just adds to that perception.
    Jack.

Perhaps a sting is needed by Police or others to trap these people.

They are the scum of the earth and deserve whatever comes their way.

Bludgers on Society.
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I have always felt that gumtree is the worst second hand sales site in the whole internet, this just adds to that perception.
    My daughter bought a concert ticket off a lady on Gumtrees and it never arrived. Couldn't contact seller. Best Gumtrees could offer was "Meet seller and exchange goods in person".
    I suppose it doesn't help the bloke who got his boat stolen, he didn't even meet the buyer.
    The police tracked the person down as my daughter deposited the money into the seller's bank account (as a screw at Boggo Road once told me "they're in jail because they're not very clever people").
    Unfortunately due to my daughter's slackness (teenages), she didn't follow it up. Coppers did some good work though.

Bit of a stretch going from a phone call to the same people being responsible for stealing it.