Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beef jerky

beef jerky

it's good to have good mates and even better if they are butchers. a mate arranged a good price on some choice cuts (including some wagyu) and even picked up a tub of marinade for me too. i am currently marinading 5kg in 3 different flavours: deli wings buffalo glaze, Louisiana hot sauce and "smack my arse and call me cindy". the last is a habanero based 10 out of 10 hot sauce from the chilli willy range. they have some funky names for their sauces...
    i like to try at least one different flavour each time i make it and this time it's the chilli willy.
    the Louisiana hot sauce is a tabasco based flavour and this is my second go at that one as i quite enjoyed it the first.
    the buffalo wings glaze gets made every time due to popular demand. if you are into making jerky this is a flavour you have got to try. it is a dry marinade and is sold to the public at vadals at Tingalpa and 2kg will cost you $21.
    i will post the reviews in the near future.
    Last edited by mod2; 27-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Re: "smack my arse and call me cindy" beef jerky

Great minds think alike Cindy. I was thinking earlier about making some Jerky. I might have to take a run into Super Butcher to see what's on special. I am happy to use cheaper cuts as long as they are lean. I normally use a dry rub but those marinades sound good
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I would like to be involved as well.
    As soon as I can figure out a way to contribute something towards this.

Or giving you a beef jerky........

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Great minds think alike Cindy. I was thinking earlier about making some Jerky. I might have to take a run into Super Butcher to see what's on special. I am happy to use cheaper cuts as long as they are lean. I normally use a dry rub but those marinades sound good
    and fools seldom differ...

i usually use round when i can get it. very lean and nice big slices makes racking easier. this lot came at a cheap cuts price so i couldn't refuse. the buffalo wing glaze is a dry rub but goes all gooey as it draws a lot of the moisture out of the meat whilst marinading. very tasty tho with a good chilli kick behind it. lucky phill will attest to this along with a few others who have sampled at m&g's.

fatbuoy, it is cheap and easy to do. a cheap food dehydrator will cost about $50. i upgraded to a commercial 10 tray model which was $135 delivered. it is a good unit and can dry up to 8kg at a time. you can spend more and get timers or digital displays but i reckon a regular timer at the power point is just as good. flavours to add are only limited by your imagination. good healthy snack food for kids and fatties.

tunaticer and muddy toes, guess i asked it for it. thanks fellas.

I just have a cheap Aldi one. It does the job but only just. Where did you get your commercial one from
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I just have a cheap Aldi one. It does the job but only just. Where did you get your commercial one from
    can't remember the sellers name but it was on ebay.

I have been trying their sauces for many years....

http://www.chilliwillies.com.au/

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

cheers
    Me too. My favourite is " Aussie Ring Stinger". Great in home made pizza's

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

cheers
    thanks mate. i see it is rated 9 out 10, not 10 out of 10. bit of butcher misinformation there. on the upside he sold it to me for 2 bucks less than the website price

No Dave, it used to be a 10 / 10 until the new " names " came on the market...........

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

If you want ridiculous Hot.. Try "Blairs" from overseas.
    My mate I used to work with bought it on the net and it so frigging hot. He used to have it on his lunch and had to beat him self on the chest to feel better.
    He once laced my tomato soup with it. I still ate it just so he didn't win.
    Chillies sauces are rated on a scale called "schoville" and these sauces make the cops capsicum spray look like water. The capsicum spray is on it as a comparison. Here it is - http://www.chilliworld.com/factfile/scoville_scale.asp

thanks mr nanks but i think there are a few too many zeroes on some of those...

here's the reviews:

smack my arse and call me cindy - nice heat but lacking a bit in flavour.
    Louisiana hot sauce - good flavour but could do with a little more heat - may try combining the 2 in another batch.
    deli buffalo wings glaze - too hard to beat - great flavour and just the right amount of bite to it.
    I also have a jar of special home made chilli to try next time courtesy of wello pt butcher. flavour and heat seem pretty good so looking forward to trying it out.
    also my local butcher at Birkdale fair has given me a sample bag of Brazilian glaze which has a very nice flavour (not too hot but they don't all need to be hot) and will also get a run next batch.

Dave, thankfully no reports of follow throughs!

I always ranked them on how many rolls of bog roll you needed to keep in the freezer.
    Ive tried Smack my arse and call me Cindy before and wasnt thrilled
    I reckon you should try some Huy Fong Sirracha with the rooster next time! and whats the make of the dehydrator

Take it you have upgraded the sunbeam jobbie.

PS if your into your own sauce here is an old thread of an old family recipie i do up…. Chilli Vroom Sauce… its still the business

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...M-Chilli-Sauce
    Tangles KFC