Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sea Sick crews

Re: Sea Sick crews

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    What a bunch of wooses, never been seasick yet, then again I dont eat greasy food at breakfast or drink alcohol on the day or night before.

Take Travelcalm or whatever floats your boat to ward off that feeling

A lot of people from Victoria only fish the bay, protected from winds...when asked have they been to sea before, they say "yeah mate, I've fished Port Phillip Bay"...phft....phft... phft I say...When they came outside and faced the real thing, ohhhh burley up lads but make sure you're down wind, nothing spoils a sanga or ice water when someone else's spew comes flinging on your sanga or ice water.

Bondy

Just because you don't get seasick doesn't make other people wooses as you call them. There are some very determined people who go to sea but suffer seasickness and just can't help it.

I have some people who come on my boat who get chronic seasickness, but I would call them some of the toughest people I know, to fight through it for the love of fishing and not complain.

not everyone is a bullet proof hero like you....

Gon Fishun

What's PPB?

I'm not into crystal balls so I cannot understand what you are conveying.

I'm an Ex trawlerman and worked on a dropliner on Taupo and Barco Seamounts, (Halfway between Port Stephens and Lord Howe Island) And yes, I've been in 5 Metre swell with sloppy sea on top...heading back to port (in the Remanents of Ex Cyclone Nancy with a Low pressure system convergence from the south) A good 15 hours of riding the swell, crashing waves and securing the boom mast at various times with rain that felt like hail pelting down. Never got seasick but never ventured back out there again either, a lot of work, effort put in for amount of fish caught, only to be paid crap money. The company that owned the vessel had an entire crew walkoff many years ago for non payment of wages and had a bad reputation amongst the commerical ops

Also been on a 13ft tinnie from Victoria Point to North Straddie in crap conditions (worked with tunnel netters) on that day. 2 metre swell and choppy seas

Over 40 years of fishing, spearfishing and underwater hockey (Octopush) combined
    Bondy

Only 5 m seas........ you really haven't see the sea angry yet then have you. 40 years and only seen 5 m seas!

What a bunch of wooses, never been seasick yet, then again I dont eat greasy food at breakfast or drink alcohol on the day or night before.

Take Travelcalm or whatever floats your boat to ward off that feeling

A lot of people from Victoria only fish the bay, protected from winds...when asked have they been to sea before, they say "yeah mate, I've fished Port Phillip Bay"...phft....phft... phft I say...When they came outside and faced the real thing, ohhhh burley up lads but make sure you're down wind, nothing spoils a sanga or ice water when someone else's spew comes flinging on your sanga or ice water.

Bondy

G'day

Must make you a real hero then. How, oh how do I be like you?

I used to work as a charter boat deckie, never got seasick. Nowadays I do, and I don't know why? Don't eat crappy food or had been on the alcohol close to the trip. Sure isn't nice but just keep on fishing

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    Just because you don't get seasick doesn't make other people wooses as you call them. There are some very determined people who go to sea but suffer seasickness and just can't help it.

I have some people who come on my boat who get chronic seasickness, but I would call them some of the toughest people I know, to fight through it for the love of fishing and not complain.

not everyone is a bullet proof hero like you....

Mate I worked commercially at sea. I worked around the clock for 25 days straight., minimal breaks. Do a google search and look up where Taupo and Barco Seamounts are and do your maths.

We went out to sea when it was ideal conditions and based upon so called world's best weather forecast system. As you know or you should know, once cannot entirely rely on weather forecasters being 100% correct.

We worked in similar conditions to a show called "Hardliners", you can watch it on Channel 1 at 7.00pm Monday nights.

We worked depths of 1,700 feet. My 5 metre swell was an estimation...when you have a sister vessel, 72ft long with a masthead of about 40ft, and you cannot see that masthead when you are in a trough, thats one hell of a ride and the swell is larger when you see 40 ft of masthead disappear and only show tip of the masthead on occassion. I was not seasick champ, I was praying we did not sink or broach due to vessels A Frame kept working loose and swinging like a pendulum.

Going on top of the cabin roof securing the masthead in those conditions was hellish....How the F... you make that experience as being a hero is beyond me.

i'm use to big seas through past experience....do I like big seas...No....Do I like pisspots coming out ....No....Reason, apart from ones own work one also has to carry the load of the pisspot...then theres the safety at sea ...pisspots cant walk straight, stagger and cause problems....once back on land the company terminates their service....more of a liability if anything.

I've been and seen my fare share of shit weather.

Are you saying you personally have been in a similar situation and endured similar conditions. If so, where was that and what was you doing?

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Blackened,

What's wrong with you mate?

I'm no hero, its "trueblue" that's making that call

Could also be a medical problem that makes people seasick....middle ear infection? Vertigo or some other unknown factor.

Before "trueblue" starts jumping up and down , my comments were relating to people who have been on the piss and drink piss at sea or those from PPB that boast they never get seasick as they fished Port Phillip Bay in openwater.

PPB is somewhat protected by headlands from what I can see. Not much protection from headlands when you leave Southport Seaway or Mooloolabah and out past the protection of headlands....easy to get seasick if one does not take precautions....for me , I never have been seasick in all my years...plain facts...no hero bullshit as to what "trueblue" tries to stipulate.

What would be stupid and was was the big drama and seas that the Sydney to Hobart Yaughties faced many years ago...purely because the wankers of the yaughting fraternity said yes...we will go...its all system go...what idiotic decision putting peoples lives at risk...there should have been criminal charges laid and persued on those mongrels that gave the "good to go" order.

They were warned by BOM officials not to race for those days.. but no ..tradition and all that rot took priority.

Bondy

Whatever you reckon bondy.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 03-12-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Don't want to get banned!!!