Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Landcruiser?

Which Landcruiser?

I am in the market for a second hand family car. My big boat weighs nearly 3500kg, so I have narrowed it down to either:
    • 76 series V8 diesel 5 door wagon or
    • 105 series naturally aspirated diesel wagon
    They are both selling for around the same dollars, the 100 series is a bit cheaper, but are starting to get some age on them. My budget is around $40k and the maximum km's I want is 120k.

I dont generally tow my big boat far, usually only 10-15kms. I am planning on towing my small boat on some extended trips with and without the family, its 2t.

Your thoughts for and against?

Re: Which Landcruiser?

Will it be a daily driver? The better halfs shopping trolley?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    I am in the market for a second hand family car. My big boat weighs nearly 3500kg, so I have narrowed it down to either:
    • 76 series V8 diesel 5 door wagon or
    • 105 series naturally aspirated diesel wagon
    They are both selling for around the same dollars, the 100 series is a bit cheaper, but are starting to get some age on them. My budget is around $40k and the maximum km's I want is 120k.

I dont generally tow my big boat far, usually only 10-15kms. I am planning on towing my small boat on some extended trips with and without the family, its 2t.

Your thoughts for and against?
    Have you thought about stepping outside of the box of toyota?
    there are utes towing 3500 brand new for just over 40 you could get a ranger xl new for 40k if you pushed the dealer a bit the BT50 would come in at that aswell, not sure of the colorado, the isuzu wuld come in at 40k i found moorooka the best to deal with for ford and isuzu and ipswich for mazda.
    just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Will it be a daily driver? The better halfs shopping trolley?
    Nah, she's got her own car. I will have to drive it to work a day or two a week.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Have you thought about stepping outside of the box of toyota?
    there are utes towing 3500 brand new for just over 40 you could get a ranger xl new for 40k if you pushed the dealer a bit the BT50 would come in at that aswell, not sure of the colorado, the isuzu wuld come in at 40k i found moorooka the best to deal with for ford and isuzu and ipswich for mazda.
    just a thought
    Yeah I have. I dont like the ranger, we have them at work and I really dont like the drive; the also hold their value poorly.

I drove the 6 cylinder cruiser utes at work for 10 year and just love the reliability you get with a cruiser; along with the resale.

I didn't think any of the utes you mentioned tow 3500kg?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    Yeah I have. I dont like the ranger, we have them at work and I really dont like the drive; the also hold their value poorly.

I drove the 6 cylinder cruiser utes at work for 10 year and just love the reliability you get with a cruiser; along with the resale.

I didn't think any of the utes you mentioned tow 3500kg?

they all tow 3500kg except the isuzu it tows 3000kg.
    i do like the older cruisers aswell

A NA landcruiser are starting to age a bit, but are still a tough rig. Are you chasing a GXL or just a standard, as the standard should come in well under 40k I would think. I would think anything of that vintage would be needing new springs/coils and shocks straight up. The only draw back is the power of them, they are like a slow boat to china and if there are any hills that you are towing up, you can get out and run faster.

Having said that, we have a couple of V8 70 series at work. My biggest grim with them is the driver seating position. I'm just a tad under 6 ft, and my knees where hitting the dash so bear that in mind. But other that they seem a pretty good rig and plenty of power.

Pazz

Get a 200 series, getting a few around $50k now. Tow your kc 2400 no problems and makes trips a pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    A NA landcruiser are starting to age a bit, but are still a tough rig. Are you chasing a GXL or just a standard, as the standard should come in well under 40k I would think. I would think anything of that vintage would be needing new springs/coils and shocks straight up. The only draw back is the power of them, they are like a slow boat to china and if there are any hills that you are towing up, you can get out and run faster.

Having said that, we have a couple of V8 70 series at work. My biggest grim with them is the driver seating position. I'm just a tad under 6 ft, and my knees where hitting the dash so bear that in mind. But other that they seem a pretty good rig and plenty of power.

Pazz
    Yeah the standard 100 series are a lot cheaper and slower; toyota just didn't make enough of the 100 series turbos. There are none around with low k's and the few that are around are getting big bucks.

Thanks for the info on the seating position.

I wish Perko, its my dream car but I really don't want to spend that much.

I have had the 76 for 6 months now:

good points are the V8! doesnt have the twin turbos like the 200 but is understressed and tows very well, hardly knew a Barcrusher 6.7 was on the back up to Agnes, did 85 litres at 90-95 klicks, on the way back did 100-110 klicks and chewed through 130 litres. It had no issues up the hills and is solid on the road with a boat behind, basically does it easy.

bad points: you will need to beef up the rear suspension for 3.5 tonnes, very short 1st and 2nd gear so slow off the mark but once your into 3rd and the v8 torque kicks in its great. Not the most comfortable car but you dont get them for that.
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I have had the 76 for 6 months now:

good points are the V8! doesnt have the twin turbos like the 200 but is understressed and tows very well, hardly knew a Barcrusher 6.7 was on the back up to Agnes, did 85 litres at 90-95 klicks, on the way back did 100-110 klicks and chewed through 130 litres. It had no issues up the hills and is solid on the road with a boat behind, basically does it easy.

bad points: you will need to beef up the rear suspension for 3.5 tonnes, very short 1st and 2nd gear so slow off the mark but once your into 3rd and the v8 torque kicks in its great. Not the most comfortable car but you dont get them for that.
    wow, that difference in fuel is amazing.

Did you put heavier springs or airbags in yours?

Not yet, but it will happen as they do need it, im thinking springs so we can go offroad a bit as well, you can also get an ARB GVM upgrade on these as well i believe, car is a work i progress.

was also surprised with the difference in fuel, they really suck it in with a heavy foot but i wanted to see what it would do, passed a few cars up some hills so that gave us a smile… we didnt muck around on the way back and trips going home always seem faster than getting there. On the flip side if driven without the heavy right foot they are pretty good on fuel for towing.
    Tangles KFC

I currently have a Disco and all I put in the rear was a set of airbags. They handle the weight of the cat well. I was thinking of doing the same when I buys a cruiser; but I don’t plan to do serious off-road work.

you come close to getting a brand new BT-50 or Ranger for that coin mate

yeh that's right, but I don't want one.

Took a 76 series for a drive at work today. Managed to borrow one for half an hour and go for a strap. When I got back I looked at the speedo and it had done 177000k; it felt like it was still a new car! The bloke I borrowed it off said it had towed a 2.5t exp for at least 150000 of those kms.

How is your fuel economy when not towing tangles?