Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cunning crabbers

Cunning crabbers

I was messing around in my boat today (some would say fishing), and I saw what I think is a new wrinkle in getting around the number of pots you can have.

There were a couple of guys on a big jetski flying around the place. They've been around for a few days. So they have a bunch of pots on the western side of Coochie and a bunch on the eastern side (I didn't count them all, but it was certainly more than 4 in each area). There were at least six on the eastern side. I imagine the pots were dropped from a boat a few days ago.

After they checked those pots and re-baited (I suppose), they headed off over to Peel. To another set of pots???? I don't know.

But in any case, how can fisheries do anything about that? You can drop your maximum pots in one area, and then do it again in another area. And another area if you want. With a jetski, you can travel from area to area so quickly, and if you get checked in one place, well, it's all legal.

Tricky. If they're doing it tomorrow, I'll ring Fisheries.

Re: Cunning crabbers

Just as likely they were thieving sharefarmer scum ripping off legit pots in each area
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Oh, I didn't think of that. Is that illegal or just bloody annoying?

It is illegal to interfere with pots that don't belong to you. I hope you are wrong about these guys, but hang them from their giblets if they deserve it. Catch them 1st will be difficult.

Scalem

Yes, Scalem, that's my point really. They don't hang around.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKroll View Post
    IF you can get a rego number, the persons name should match up with the name on the pots. If not there being a bit naughty and need a good flogging.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKroll View Post

Video camera works wonders, you can zoom in especially with mine 70X capability, As long as you dont get the camera wet. You can get the whole action , jetski, person, rego details, etc and turn it in to Fisheries or Police, after all, Police are now automatic Fisheries Inspectors, correction Field Officers to be politically correct.

Bondy

Peter, give the info to fisheries....they have the ability to be more covert I would imagine.

OR, they may already know about it and may even tell you it's legit...ie: pros using jetskis to check & rebait their pots more efficiently....who knows

Cheers, Ray.

Always someone wanting to rort the system, i was paddling in Tingalpa creek yesterday and heard very loud cursing going on from a near by tinnie, the guy asked me if i had seen anyone at his pots as 3 of his 4 cut been cut off at the float, no wonder he wasnt happy, big unit too so would have been interesting if he had caught them, there really are some lowlifes about, i dont even bother with pots anymore.

I was talking to the pro crabber who works out of Raby bay. He lost 17 pots Wednesday night to thieving bastards.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

How did the crabbing (and motor) go Bruce?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I tried a new area over by the rous and only managed star fish. The motor went well, no sign of the problem.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Starfish around and IN the Rous fer me as well

I had four pots in at Peel for four hours today did not see one sand crab. I did see two jet skis heading out at midday from Victoria Point

They were black and red
    bazza

Bruce was that the pro crabber with the yellow boat? if so he was the bloke who returned Wardys pot recently.
    Tangles KFC