Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little RONNIE gets to Lady Musgrave Island

Red face Little RONNIE gets to Lady Musgrave Island

Well as a follow on from this posted thread we have:-

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-RONNIE-and-Us!

The trip was to 1770
    A1.jpg

Then the dad's mission was "to take these three boys to Lady Musgrave Island, then bring them back to their mums in good condition and survive", should you chose to accept it

The drive out from mainland 60km to the island was on some very easy sea where Ronnie was part-time captain
    A2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpg

We came in close and went into the lagoon skirting the Southern reef edge and along the way saw turtles, manta rays and plenty of fish both on the surface and amongst the coral
    A5.jpg

The tide was not a high tide till near sunset so we set-up in the lagoon and did some snorkelling - Ronnie was a natural and although he had done very little snorkeling he was quickly comfortable flippering about. We also did some looking about found some interesting things that weren't camera shy
    A6.jpgA7.jpgA7a.jpg
    This is what the island looks like
    LMIs.jpg
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Little RONNIE gets to Lady Musgrave Island

We set up camp on the island toward dusk and it was a bit of a rush to park on the North side, hold the boat against the shore break and unload with me holding the boat - Dave doing the unloading and the boys off exploring - thanks guys

The island has some older volunteers that take on the job of making sure you have permits and then telling you where to camp and then hovering about the place ensure some order is kept - at first I thought they were Greenies (and perhaps they are) but they were friendly enough and didn't make life difficult. They put us in a spot next to some bushes that had plenty of pooping birds to paint the tent and awning.
    A8.jpg

We went for some island walks and the boys made some little friends and when Ronnie got tired dad carried him the last couple of hundred metres.
    A9.jpgA10.jpgA12.jpgA13.jpgA11.jpg
    Cheers

Trev

The boys were just as happy to be sitting on a tree at the shoreline and watching the world go by whilst we dads were tending the tent kitchen or preparing the next outing reef walking or snorkelling
    A16.jpgA14.jpgA15.jpg

Towards the end of the day whilst they were climbing trees and we were photographing the sunset a turtle came ashore to drag itself by to the dunes to dig a hole and lay eggs
    A17.jpgA18.JPG

We did do some snorkelling from shore into the lagoon and on this one Ronnie said hey I just saw a shark - come and look. So I did and yep it was a shark following us about 1.2m long. "Dad does it bite?" We were a bit away from shore and I did not want to frighten the two boys so I said "No". To which Ronnie said "Cool!" Then swam off chasing it - oops
    A21.jpg

We had a great Friday to Sunday stay there and returned on the Sunday and on the way we tried the spot Macca gave me and yes there was some nice little peaks there worth a drift so we did a few and Ronnie scored this
    A22.jpg

The two other boys went green and quiet and layed down as the return trip was a bit bumpy. We did a few more drifts and caught a few more fish for a feed and then left for home returning past the lighthouse into 1770 just on dark to be greeted by a lightening storm, strong winds and a very wet drive home getting back about 2am.

All in all a great adventure for the boys and a lot of fun for us all - thanks guys/gals for the thoughts and efforts you made to bring this about.

If you have a facebook or your family does Ronnie would very much like to be "very much LIKED" in this facebook pic - so if you can visit and get his number way up high it will make the little guy smile

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Cheers

Trev

Great trip Tevally, thanks for sharing

Tears in eyes.......and NOT sorry......

Thanks, Ray & Kerri....hang IN there Ronnie.

Brilliant trip. Magic memories. Thanks so much for sharing.

I will get my family to Facebook like. I don't have Facebook...,, I failed the entrance exam.

Great read. Very inspiring. FB like done.

Where's the Nannygai Trev? That was the " Secret " Nannygai spot after all!

Nice one Trev, looks like a great trip.. Fish or no fish..

Regards
    HOnda.

Whilst the rest of us are whinging about trivial stuff, your post stands as a reminder of what's truly important in this world. One day, your grandkids will bug you to take them to LM, just like you did their dad back in 2013. Believe it and it will happen.
    Thanks for sharing such a precious experience.
    Ok so now I'm tearing up!!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Thanks Trev like has been done
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Superstuffthat! roy

Trev, no words available for how reading that made me feel. Facebook will be done.........

Mark
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

Thats awesome trev!

Great trip report Trev,looked like the boys had a ball.