Thread: Loading a outfitter on a 4wd

Loading a outfitter on a 4wd

At the moment I can load my hobie outfitter onto my ford falcon sedan with the use of a slide out bar attached to my roof Thule roof racks but I pickup my new dmax in 2 weeks and I was wondering is there an easy way of getting the kayak on and of . The car is a crew cab with a canopy 4wd so I need to side load it at this stage does anyone have any tips to make it easier for those of us who are vertically challenged ...thanks Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: Loading a outfitter on a 4wd

Matt , a mate of mine bought a kayak loader for his triton, try these guys - http://www.roofracksgalore.com.au/
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Thanks for that ,I have a set of Thule racks with a slide out bar but I don't think they will fit the new car so I will head down and see roof racks galore for some advice they are just down the road from my place ..Matt 👍👍

I see thule do a thing called a hullavator but I am unsure if a outfitter will be able to go on it ,I guess the guys at roof racks galore will know . Anyone have experience with the hullavator?

Matt,

Am aware a couple of people that have had the hullavator. But they weren't overly positive about it long-term. I beleve their issue was that it occasionally got stick when trying to push the kayak onto the roof.

For me, I have a Hobie Oasis and always struggled getting it on & off as it is a heavy beast (33kgs). Have now worked out a great way of getting it on & off all by myself or with the wife. The following is done with the yak in it's upright position (as you would use it). I have the kayak/canoe guides fitted and use a thick towel to lay over the centre of the rear roof rack, which falls halfway down the back window.I then walk to nose of the yak up to the towel on top of the back hatch (still leaving the trolley wheels in the very back of the yak), then grab the rear of the yak, remove the wheels, and then slide onto the the roof racks in one movement. To unload I do the reverse. I can unload the Oasis all by myself without hurting myself or the car - I simply insert the trolley wheels and fix in with the trolley pin (these are the heavy duty Hobie wheels). It works like a charm.

Cheers,
    Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

I got 2 pieces of square tube, one slides inside other. Got 2 exhaust type u bolts and bolted larger pipe to roof rack. Inner pipe can then slide in and out.
    It slides out to a metre.

I load a heavy 12 ft fibreglass canoe on a side loader I made up, won some braid from a fishing mag for the idea.
    It works for me.....

I have often wondered how some guys get those big hobies on the roof, or trailer......
    The upturn at the front is so the canoe doesn't slide on to my bonnet........ It tried to once, and I have a few scratches at the back when it wanted to slide off the boot.
    Gotta get it on level ground..

I have posted this before, might help, otherwise disregard.
    randell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok guys it's been a while coming but after looking at a few ideas I have come up with my own version of a side loader for less than $150 in parts I will work it out when I finish . This does not include the racks which cost me $250 as I already had the bars , here is a pic of what I have acquired i just have to get some bolts today then I can assemble and test it . I hope this helps someone else get a larger kayak on there roof ,Matt ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414616848.952932.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414616926.775070.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414616977.467565.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414617018.288484.jpg

The tube is alloy 44.45x3.25x 6410 it's very stiff but still bendable , a fencing company bent it for me and used a long radius mandrel . The box section is 70x 300 x 3 mm and the tube is 20mm x 3 mm to guid the rope to winch it on . I will have a pulley so I can operate the winch from the side , when I do the test I will post some more pics weather it's a success or a flop I should know this afternoon . A side loader in the style from rhino is nearly $700 and the easyboat version is $900 ..matt