Thread: lowrance HDS5x & NMEA 2000 calibration

lowrance HDS5x & NMEA 2000 calibration

Need some help setting up my Lowrance HDS5x to give me a readout of fuel flow, Engine revs etc..
    Plugged in the neama cable , tried to follow the user manual guide in setting it up ut no go???..
    Would it be matter of fueling the tank right up before it will complete the setup????.
    Any help or pointer in the right direction would be appreciated..

Re: lowrance HDS5x & NMEA 2000 calibration

A bit more info about what your setup includes would be helpful......for example, what kind of fuel flow sensor or engine/interface is connected to your network? Tell us exactly what you have!

Cant help you if we dont know what gear you have on your network!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Hokeydokes, Honda BF150 HP couplesto the neama and to garmin 750s which comunicates okay with what ive wanted above though didnt really want to switch back n forth from fuel gauges to map whist heading out so bought and extra piece of neama drop cable and plugged it in to my Lowrance HDSx5 hence my query above as it wont just plug n play???as did with the Garmin??..

Ok, if the connection from the network to the HDS is done correctly (you did add an extra T piece and connected the HDS to that, didnt you?) then there is usually no other setting up to do. It is plug and play.

(Also, the HDS must be plugged into the leg part of the New T piece and the top part of the T is connected to existing T's.)

If any of that is wrong, you can expect problems.

Otherwise, you just hit the pages button on the HDS and scroll around to the "Info" screen and hit enter, you will see a virtual dashboard display, and when the engine is turned on it will work.

If you hit the left or right arrow, 2 other screens with various data combinations on them will appear. You can edit and customise all 3 info pages to suit your own preferences.

You also have the option of showing any bit of engine data you want as a data overlay item on any HDS page that you like.

If it is not working, with the Garmin display and the Honda key both turned on and the network powered on, go into the Lowrance's network menu and select auto-configure and do that. If its not working that should fix it.

Also, with the Honda and garmin both on, in the lowrance's network menu, select devices or device list, and the garmin and honda should be listed. If they are not, then you have something wrong in your connections/cables. Check the network devices list on the Garmin and see if the lowrance is listed there and that should help you figure out where the bad connection is.

I have very occasionally come across a faulty network T piece so if no other devices are showing on the Lowrance's network device list, check the cable connections are plugged in properly and maybe swap T pieces around and that will tell you if one is faulty.

Remember, things on the network can only see each other and share data if:

(a) the network is powered on and
    (b) each of the items is also powered on. In the case of the engine, as long as the key is turned on, you should be able to see the engine listed. It doesnt actually need to be running.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and if you have already set up the fuel tank size etc in the Garmin, I think the Lowrance might pick that up. If not, simply go into the Lowrance menu, menu, fuel, setup and set up tank size there.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Cheers mate and will sus it out again tomorrow or Monday see how it goes. All seems connected okay and the Garmin reads okay and only the hds that's been hard to configure.

Well just spent n hour with a very helpfull Lowarance technition and got the unit to show revs and fuel used per distance but it only shows it as a digital needle rather than numbers??? as for the rest , fuel level etc i'm tiold i need to purchase some other thingy which ive written somewhere to attatch to the neama T-Piece so it can talk with the Honda??..

Unless i can figure out how to get my info in digital numbers i will jus scrap the idea and use the Garmin only till i eventually need to replace the HDS5x unit...
    Thank you kindly for your assistance Moonlighter n if theres'any chance i can get your mobile PM'd to me i might even ring you if n when your not busy try get you to talk me through it..But no dramas if its inconvenient mate..

You will need a EP85r data storage device from Lowrance to store the fuel used, remaining etc data.

Regarding getting data to display as numbers rather than gauges, there are 2 ways to achieve this.

1. Use the info pages. The first info page is the page that shows the virtual dashboard. If you hit the arrow button, another info page will come up with a set combo on digital data, in numbers, and you can edit each of those boxes to put whatever number you want into them. The HDS manual tells you how t o do this. Pretty straightforward.

2. On the sonar screen, you can add data overlay items.

Cheers mate will have a looksee..

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    You will need a EP85r data storage device from Lowrance to store the fuel used, remaining etc data.

Regarding getting data to display as numbers rather than gauges, there are 2 ways to achieve this.

1. Use the info pages. The first info page is the page that shows the virtual dashboard. If you hit the arrow button, another info page will come up with a set combo on digital data, in numbers, and you can edit each of those boxes to put whatever number you want into them. The HDS manual tells you how t o do this. Pretty straightforward.

2. On the sonar screen, you can add data overlay items.
    Your Bloods worth bottlin mate, Done!!..