Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another GPS Attributed Fatality - Unfortunately

Re: Another GPS Attributed Fatality - Unfortunately

Stuff and nonsense.

1. Satnav is having fun

2. Some people would be in a slight tizzy without their GPS guide, but most not.

3. No big deal whatever the case.

4. To infer from the report that incorrect usage of the GPS caused the fatalities is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. Unfortunately another GPS related accident to add to the ever growing list of fatalities attributed to incorrect GPS use, helicopter crash Lake Eyre 2011

2. Unfortuneately this list is not exclusively limited to aircraft incidents.
    WTF Is the point of this? go chat up some old duck in a retirement home and stop boring us with your rubbish

1. This particular incident will go into the archive list as GPS related causing fatalities and some need to get over it and stop making excuses. Boating isn't a perfect world either and based on hindsight certainly is not exempt from such outcomes.

2. Lets put this type of incident squarely to you nay sayers that there has been many fatalities right across the board attributed to GPS and primarily as a direct result of the person using such equipment. Anybody like to deny this?

Ok put up or shut up time.....

Where is the link to a boating fatality attributed to incorrect GPS usage. Not saying there aren't any...

I would be pleased to see such a link because we might actually learn from it rather than just be rehashing drivel.

We had a GPS assist grounding in our company last year. Chief Officer was on watch and ran into a charted Bombie in a 40m Rig Tender. He was following the GPS plotter and not putting positions on the Chart.

Chart was accurate the GPS plotter's charts were not. No fatalities but lots of $$$$$

Amazing how complacent even professional seafarers can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    We had a GPS assist grounding in our company last year. Chief Officer was on watch and ran into a charted Bombie in a 40m Rig Tender. He was following the GPS plotter and not putting positions on the Chart.

Chart was accurate the GPS plotter's charts were not. No fatalities but lots of $$$$$

Amazing how complacent even professional seafarers can get.
    Yeah that's true Richo. Good reminder there.

If we look at GPS assisted groundings there's probably zillions. I've heard of people driving cars into rivers while blindly following GPS.

But Satnav in his wisdom is talking about boating fatalities....

It will go on to the archive list but it's never going to help anybody.
    Putting brochures on cars at the boat ramp or sky painting over a fishing tournament might.

At the end of the day a GPS, SatNav, compass and sextant are only aides to navigation. Any and all of them can and do fail and those failures can lead to fatalities. The people who drive into lakes following a GPS are the reason they are in the lake, not the GPS they were using. If they had looked at what was in front of them they would have stayed dry.
    GPS can be inaccurate, compasses can be affected by magnetic fields and interference and sextants can break.
    Should we just sit at home, looking at the ocean and wish that there was a foolproof 100% accurate system or do we use what is available and apply common sense and go fishing.
    For goodness sake SatNav if you have answers to the questions your asking put them up so people can learn otherwise stop it with these mindless threads......
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

"if you have answers to the questions your asking put them up so people can learn otherwise stop it with these mindless threads...... "
    1. No I don't have answers to why people do such things and yes you are correct it is the people, not the device hence mindless threads (as you might call them) are put out there that may just get some people to pull their heads out of the sand, even just a little and long enough to listen, mind you many don't want to listen and plenty of evidence on that.

2. Yes it is the person that is the issue, it is a person who ploughs their boat into rocks with the misguided comprehension that since there is nothing showing on the screen there is nothing of danger out there, rather a deadly mistake. So I agree it is not the device, it is not the manufacturer, it is not the USAF the user is almost solely responsible for "GPS related issues"

1. No I don't have answers to why people do such things and yes you are correct it is the people, not the device
    2. Yes it is the person that is the issue, it is a person who ploughs their boat into rocks with the misguided comprehension that since there is nothing showing on the screen there is nothing of danger out there, rather a deadly mistake. So I agree it is not the device, it is not the manufacturer, it is not the USAF the user is almost solely responsible for "GPS related issues"
    So then why not start a thread highlighting errors and offering solutions. You start threads that cast accusation's of complacency, ignorance and disregard on all who use this site. Yes there are SOME people who are ignorant of certain laws and some who are unaware of inaccuracies of equipment but the way that your threads are worded it implies that we are all in that category.
    If you have evidence of accidents with proven short comings in operators or equipment then post them up. You made assumptions about the cause of the accident that started this thread, do you have evidence that this was the reason or are you just being complacent and showing disregard to the details to suit your own belief that were are all incompetent.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

but realy
    1. she'll be right
    2. if the arrow is pointing toward the front of the boat .isnt that the way you are going
    3 . thanks for all the help at breaksea but if i took any notice of you i wouldnt have known that i had run out of fuel and would problably still be going

SATNAV, on a slight tangent, do you prefer north up or course up?

" so people can learn..... these mindless threads........ why people do such things........ and yes you are correct it is the people, not the device ..... people to pull their heads out of the sand, ..... plenty of evidence on that.
    ....... Yes it is the person that is the issue........ it is a person who ploughs their boat into rocks ...... So I agree it is not the device, it is not the manufacturer, it is not the USAF the user is almost solely responsible for "GPS related issues"
    Ok so that kind of cancels my theory that SatNav has been sitting back waiting to profit from the sales of more expensive nav/gps devices.

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    SATNAV, on a slight tangent, do you prefer north up or course up?
    Don't even go there Cobialessboy. If I have to spend the rest of my life running course up just to prove Satnav wrong I will never forgive you.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

1. The comments are directed to everybody and I leave the incompetence flag up to the individual to decide, if they then come unstuck then so be it, some people simply can not be reasoned with, others will question themselves. Some people on the other hand carry that flag with them.

2. There will never ever be a coroner bring down a ruling that a "GPS did it", no matter how many more people perish by the simple fact of blindly following a GPS, be it into the desert, a rock, a mountain, a lake, the ocean or head off in the totally opposite direction.

3. How many people have to make the same mistakes for the same reasons? And yes we are all in that category

4. And no I did not make any assumptions about the cause of that incident, but some simply can't accept the findings and for what ever reason who knows? That is their problem and it was rather disappointing when someone links their justification to an ABC news link!