Thread: Redclaw in the Dams

Redclaw in the Dams

Just wondering if anyone has any success with bagging any redclaw so far this season? Giving it a go for the first time this year but not quiet sure when is the best time to go? Looking at trying Somerset or Moograh (Spelling?) Dams. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Lance

Re: Redclaw in the Dams

Hey lancinerator, your message box is full, i have some info you may need.

Haji-Baba

Haji Baba
    Can you send me the Info, I am also chasing them this weekend

Cheers Mark

I went to somerset 2 weekends ago and got 200 overnight, sunlight soap was the best bait, rockmelon went ok,I found them holdig in bout 20ft- 2ft I water hope this helps. cheers hally

I'm heading out to Maroon Dam this weekend, any one had any luck out there with redclaw? The young fella would love to bag a couple! Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by hally View Post
    I went to somerset 2 weekends ago and got 200 overnight, sunlight soap was the best bait, rockmelon went ok,I found them holdig in bout 20ft- 2ft I water hope this helps. cheers hally
    well done. when you say 200, is that including all the little ones? how many pots?
    i spent the weekend at somerset, i set 7 pots overnight and only got about 30, with about a dozen worth cooking up. Mine were in 3-5mtrs near trees and away from all the other pots. Used rockmelon only.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

some tips here guys if you haven't seen them

The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Thanks for that Rainbowrunner, some good tips there. The potato you us as bait, I'm guessing its raw and not cooked at all. From what I'm reading potato and rockmelon appear to be the best bait.
    Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapson View Post
    Thanks for that Rainbowrunner, some good tips there. The potato you us as bait, I'm guessing its raw and not cooked at all. From what I'm reading potato and rockmelon appear to be the best bait.
    potato is boiled or cooked to the point of being able to be mashed, it is then able to disperse through the water and act as berley to bring them in, I like it because its cheap and effective, when camping we just put them in hot coals to cook.
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my videos

Mate all good eating size even got stew lobster size ones too. There were 3 of us so we had 12 pots

Tying the bait or bait container to the bottom middle of the pot also will help entice them to come in the pot to try and get at it..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

We use mainly ice break or similar bottles now with holes punched in them, I like to leave them loose in the pot as they roll it around inside trying to get to the food and disperse the berley even more. This works for me for mudcrabs too, I fill them with chopped up baitfish.
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my videos