Thread: Snorkelling Fitzroy Musgrave

Snorkelling Fitzroy Musgrave

Just been on a fishing trip to Fitzroy with the teenage kids. Hoped to snorkel and see some coral and fish to entertain the kids. Being first time just pulled up near a bommie but not much to see. Any tips or marks on good spots in the lagoons at Fitzroy or Musgrave for snorkelling.
    By the way how do these lagoons fish - what's there to catch? Fished for 1/2 hr in Fitzroy but only pickers.

Re: Snorkelling Fitzroy Musgrave

Snorkelling is much better outside the reef wall rather than in the lagoon. I recall snorkelling on one bommie I could not see for all the fish!

How are the currents?What tide do you recommend. Can you get the boat close enough without hitting something?

Hi Leebee

Try the old tour boat site in Fitzroy. Their old mooring was still there last time I was up that way. The bombie nearby is fairly good as it goes from the sand to the surface. At Musgrave there is some good structure in the south eastern corner of the Lagoon. Snorkeling is better outside on both. The fringing reef is not that wide. It would be easy to swim across to the outside. The marine park zone from the cut to the island at Musgrave is good. At Fitzroy the small "bay" to the west of the entrance has a couple of spectacular bombies not far out from the reef edge that are well worth a look.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Leebee View Post
    Just been on a fishing trip to Fitzroy with the teenage kids. Hoped to snorkel and see some coral and fish to entertain the kids. Being first time just pulled up near a bommie but not much to see. Any tips or marks on good spots in the lagoons at Fitzroy or Musgrave for snorkelling.
    By the way how do these lagoons fish - what's there to catch? Fished for 1/2 hr in Fitzroy but only pickers.
    My mate who came on my boat for the 1770 m&g caught 4 trout in the Fitzroy lagoon. Just using pillies on the bottom.

I have dived and speared Musgrave for over 25 years. I think the best free diving is inside the lagoon well to the south of the pontoon. Its pretty stunning. If you want to see bigger fish then the SE corner holds some good country or from the cutting west in the Green Zone
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks guys, useful information. The old tour boat mooring at Fitzroy, can you give me an idea where that is in/out of lagoon?