Thread: Guardfish Cluster

Guardfish Cluster

Has anyone had any experience fishing this area? There is bugger all on Google, and Ausfish. Hopefully this translates into unfished territory. Looking to head there round Christmas time, some travel tips for this area would be handy.
    Cheers

Re: Guardfish Cluster

Hi Bubsy where are you going from
    we fished there from the little boats a 485 seajay and 460 haines last time we went to Cape Palmerston it is about 37km from Palmerston
    it is about 57 from Sarina inlet and about 66 from Hay Point
    there is some great country right around Curlew and Bluff we had no marks but there is that much country all we had to do was head for the biggest island (Curlew) watch the gps and sounder
    there are lots of lumpy bits that can cause a bit of grief if you aren't aware we found nannies on the deeper contours not as deep as we are used to, plenty of trout and sweeties over the reefie patches
    one of the highlights was a school of twenty kg plus spannoes probably half a km wide and a kilometre long it took a lot of work to get any of them to chew
    we will be going back next time if the weather is good
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    Hi Bubsy where are you going from
    we fished there from the little boats a 485 seajay and 460 haines last time we went to Cape Palmerston it is about 37km from Palmerston
    it is about 57 from Sarina inlet and about 66 from Hay Point
    there is some great country right around Curlew and Bluff we had no marks but there is that much country all we had to do was head for the biggest island (Curlew) watch the gps and sounder
    there are lots of lumpy bits that can cause a bit of grief if you aren't aware we found nannies on the deeper contours not as deep as we are used to, plenty of trout and sweeties over the reefie patches
    one of the highlights was a school of twenty kg plus spannoes probably half a km wide and a kilometre long it took a lot of work to get any of them to chew
    we will be going back next time if the weather is good
    cheers
    Thanks bud,

Sorry about the late reply. Yeah, I was thinking of launching from Sarina. I had one mate go down there before and he stated similar to you as that it was a very fishy looking area.
    I've got a 6.8m glass so I would be looking at doing an overnighter and exploring the region. I wimped out at Christmas time, and instead went to Stephens Reef again.

I really appreciate the post you made, I'll try to use it. Hopefully I can add to our knowledge once I do a trip.

Thanks again.
    Dan

Hi Dan
    let us know when if you could and we might do the run if the weather is right
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2