Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1770 overnighter.

1770 overnighter.

It’s been almost 3 months since my last overnighter at 1770 and with a break in the weather, sounder issues resolved and empty freezer I decided to go up again and give it another crack (possibly the last before Christmas).

After receiving a PM from Back in Black (Tony) a few days earlier I gave him a call to see if he wanted to jump on board along with Moejoe’s, my brother Will and myself for the trip. Tony was keen as mustard so I picked him up Thursday late afternoon and headed up talking game plans and had a few laughs along the way as well.

On arrival at Agnes we met up with Soulfish (Jason), Master Baiter, Antos and Mitch who were all going to be fishing out of Jason’s 2700 Noosa cat for the same period.

My plan of attack was to hit the northern shallows of the Innamincka shoals from about 8.30am Friday morning until about 2pm targeting trout and flesh baits for latter in the afternoon. After that I was going to head east between 60-80mtrs targeting reds in the afternoon using whatever flesh baits we had picked up that morning.

On our way to Innamincka we came over a nice show of fish sitting around a reasonable lump. I was confident that the fish were active and organised the boys to all drop down and it was a good start to the day to say the least. Tony’s goal of the trip was to catch his first red and trout. Well he nailed a 10.5kg red on his first drop on this new bump as well as the other three of us all loaded up at the same time. It was 8am Friday morning and 4 guys were all buckled over the side stuck into a four way hook up. The end result was Tony was no longer a red virgin, I caught a gold band snapper about 6kg’s while my brother caught a 12kg chinaman and Bobby caught a large Spangled emperor that he released. Not a bad start!! The fish were biting. We had one more drift before moving on to our plan of Trout at Innamincka.

We fished Innamincka and Guthrie’s shoals until 2pm and caught 20 trout (yes Back In Black was no longer a trout virgin either after about an hr) 32 red throat and enough flesh baits to last the afternoon red session.

When I fish these shallows chasing trout I use a very soft tipped rod (it’s called a “Bring It On”) with a long 10mtr length of 60lb fluro leader a small running ball sinker and 3x7/0 ganged big gun hooks with swivels in between each hook. I only use pillys (we only take pillys for bait) for bait and don’t fish any spots I just keep drifting from 15mtrs down to 30mtrs and moving around the reef edges. It’s a simple way to fish and my most enjoyable with everyone usually catching a feed.

The afternoon red session on Friday was terrible and after a few hrs of nothing I decided to pull the pin and head south back to Broomfield reef to anchor up late in the afternoon and empty the fridge of beer and steak.

Soulfish and Game on rafted up either side of us for the night and it was good to catch up with with Haigy (Game on) out there and finally see his awsome rig (9mtr plate with twin 225 hondas).

Saturday morning we had a bit of a sleep in waiting for the sun to come up a little before we headed around the southern side of Broomfield chasing our last 8 trout before heading out to chase a few reds. We have never fished broomfield shallows before and just applied the same method of fishing the shallows as we always do.
    Within an hr we had 2 Spaniards (red bait), 8 trout and plenty were released to fight another day so we headed out south east and wide searching for reds. The reds were scattered and found over large rubble paddocks so the call was to drift with paternosters and use the larger flesh baits from the previous day to attract the pickers and then the reds would find us. We managed a few four way hook ups with Moejoes and Back in Black on fire. It was good to see Tony smashing them and Rob as usual didn't disappoint. It was a good session and we left them biting as between Giddy up and Maverick our boats combined had 130+ fish and the call was for an early return to clean up and get drunk.

It was a good day and a half on the water with the fish biting hard from early morning until a little after lunch (moon rising!!) and what made it better was to catch up with all the guys back at the shed early afternoon to clean up, take a few funny photos and all get on it for the night before driving back Sunday morning.
    I really enjoyed the photos of the combined catch from the two boats!!!!

Highlights were.... the weather (perfect), Back in Black on fire with two reds at 10.5kg and 3 others, Back in Black smashing the trout like a season pro, Bobby smashing the reds and almost falling out the boat with a gaff attempt LOL, Will not straightening his rod LOL, the skipper getting the shits because he's not catching any reds!!!!!! :, Bobbys bacon and eggs, tiger shark trying to bite our fingers off over $2 worth of hooks, the snoring orchestra on Friday night, Watching Williams face after the series of chinamen and sharks he caught and most importantly getting away with a good group of blokes that all loved to fish and enjoyed the banter.

Tony it was great meeting you and mate you can fish!!! well done on the reds and trout you nailed.
    Will thanks for coming and your the best filleter I've ever seen cheers for yesterday sticking it out in the storm.
    Bobby once again mate another clean up so thanks for your efforts and food prep. Gourmet Bob. Well done on the reds and trout you cleaned up.

Probably not a good post to read if you’re a green!!! I should of put that at the top…. Sorry. Don’t look at the photos…. It is legal.......there is 8 blokes fishing.....

Cheers Keith.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	97692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	97685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	97686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	97687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	97688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	97689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	97690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	97691

Re: 1770 overnighter.

Another fine job there lads!! Was nice to say gday again Keith and a pleasure to meet you Tony.

Was the other cat called Maverick?............another hell of a nice lump of boat if it is!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	97694
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Another fine job there lads!! Was nice to say gday again Keith and a pleasure to meet you Tony.

Was the other cat called Maverick?............another hell of a nice lump of boat if it is!!
    Yeah Muddy she's a good rig the 2700 especially for overnighters with a big open back deck. Did you see them heading up the freeway?

Mate the look on your face at the servo was pricless. i'm sure you though to yourself who the f**k are these blokes.

It was a great trip keith & it was a good night back at the house....My crew & I certainly appreciate your hospitality.
    The boys were in awe of your setup at the shack & cant wait until we can do it again.....(when the freezers empty again of course)

cheers jason

Hahahaha...........I never knew those utes had a six speed reverse gear box in them mate!!!!

Yeah Maverick looked very well laid out from what I could see on their way home when they pulled in to the servo but I didn't know what to drool over first.....the boat or the Chevy!!!

Terrific effort fellas. There's some real quality amongst that catch.

Always enjoy reading your reports Keith, keep them coming.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Hahahaha...........I never knew those utes had a six speed reverse gear box in them mate!!!!

Yeah Maverick looked very well laid out from what I could see on their way home when they pulled in to the servo but I didn't know what to drool over first.....the boat or the Chevy!!!
    Mate the F350 is like a Yamaha and the Chevy is like an Etec!!

Dont ever drool over a Chevy... The Noosacat on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    It was a great trip keith & it was a good night back at the house....My crew & I certainly appreciate your hospitality.
    The boys were in awe of your setup at the shack & cant wait until we can do it again.....(when the freezers empty again of course)

cheers jason
    Cheers Gib.

Mate they were a great crew of blokes and you can tell Mitch if he needs a couple of days to ring me. I will punish that little bugger more than ever after feeding me a thousand coronas on saturday night.

Gib it was good to see Steve get up there and you and i both know he now has the bug and it wont be the last time we see him either and let Brent know he's welcome anytime if he needs a place to park up for the night.

Mate always good fishing with you and look forward also to the next trip..... Breaksea?? Fraser??

My hat goes of to you as i don't know anyone that would of turned up in your condition. Knee surgery a week earlier and the most swollen leg i've seen and you decide to go 6 hrs north in a car and 100k's out to sea. Your a champion or a dumb prick!!! I know you long enough to know which one.

Cheers

Great report Keith!

It was good to meet up at the servo and have a chat with you and Tony over breakfast. Loved the 350 Super Duty .... go the F Trucks!

Interesting to hear how you target the Trout. I fish for trout by anchoring up and floating unweighted & ganged pillies down with the current to the pressure points on the reef in 10- 24 meters (17-19 being the best IMHO) using light gear, fluorocarbon leaders and chopped pillies for burley. Works well for Red Throat too. That's why I like fishing with a northerly at 1770 - makes the boat hang back into the current which is usually running south.

Cheers,
    Jim

Well Banana,
    You guys must have a crystal ball, nice catch plenty of fun, may need to drop over for a feed and help empty that freezer for you.
    Soulfish will be in deep crap today when he see's the Doc!! Great effort shame to miss these events.
    Keep up the good work

Gaz

Holy Mackerel! Nice haul, bloody awesome boat and fantastic report. Green with Envy!
    Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

Awesome sess mate.
    I love reading your reports. You guys certainly clean up. Nice shot of all fish lying together.

Hopefully one day il get there lol.

Shane

Top work boys!!

Thats one thing I'm going to miss now i've downsized boats!

Cheers Lochie

Great haul Keith and good to have a chat at the servo. We passed Maverick down the road a bit further and there was drool pouring out of Giffo and my mouths. Awesome looking weapon and looks pretty new as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Great report Keith!

It was good to meet up at the servo and have a chat with you and Tony over breakfast. Loved the 350 Super Duty .... go the F Trucks!

Interesting to hear how you target the Trout. I fish for trout by anchoring up and floating unweighted & ganged pillies down with the current to the pressure points on the reef in 10- 24 meters (17-19 being the best IMHO) using light gear, fluorocarbon leaders and chopped pillies for burley. Works well for Red Throat too. That's why I like fishing with a northerly at 1770 - makes the boat hang back into the current which is usually running south.

Cheers,
    Hi Jim.

Mate it was nice to catch up yesterday and have a chat with youself Marty, Giffo and Macca about the different trips. Mate it sounded awsome having all those boats out there at the breaksea and i'll make sure I don't miss the next M&G.

Jim at times I do anchor for trout especially the bigger ones on the sides of bommies but you have to have the right crew. If I asked one of the regular guys to keep pulling anchor after a couple of dud sessions it would be anarchy so i just keep the peace and drift. You loose more tackle and get busted more regularly on the bigger fish drifting in the shallows but you definatley catch more fish and locate the trout easier. As I said I dont even use my sounder looking for trout just work those drop offs around the reef edges.

Cheers Keith