Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crabbing ???

crabbing ???

Just wondered if u went out with a mate in a boat and
    Put out say 8 crab pots and let soak over night and u
    go home and ya mate breaks a leg or something and
    U can't find anyone else to come what should ya do to
    get ya pots back legally when its 4 pots per person???
    my rides 3.7 m tinnie
    V8 vn ss
    GQ swb patrol

Re: crabbing ???

go out pick up 4, deposit back in car then go get the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    go out pick up 4, deposit back in car the go get the rest.
    that's the easiest way to retrieve them, BUT if fisheries arrive on the scene I think you could be in trouble, im sure other people with excess illegal pots have used a similar story to them, so might be a case of being booked and have to fight the matter in court

Quote Originally Posted by *shrek* View Post
    Just wondered if u went out with a mate in a boat and
    Put out say 8 crab pots and let soak over night and u
    go home and ya mate breaks a leg or something and
    U can't find anyone else to come what should ya do to
    get ya pots back legally when its 4 pots per person???
    Ask the next door -neighbour, say half the crabs, ring another mate.. crabs are awesome motivators to help a mate out.. hell i will come withya lol

"someone else" would have a different name to what was on the pots,I would simply phone fisheries and ask for direction.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe a signed note/letter from the owner of the 4 pots declaring what has happened and giving you permission to gather his pots would probable suffice and be acceptable to most fisheries officers but this is only my opinion.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but from what I read are you guys saying that even if there are 2 guys on the boat that all 8 pots cant have the same name on them?

I thought that the skipper could own all of the pots and as long as there were appropriate number of people on the boat (ie 2 if 8 pots out) then all was good? Maybe I have been breaking the law all these year unknowingly

Quote Originally Posted by Nabba1 View Post
    Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but from what I read are you guys saying that even if there are 2 guys on the boat that all 8 pots cant have the same name on them?

I thought that the skipper could own all of the pots and as long as there were appropriate number of people on the boat (ie 2 if 8 pots out) then all was good? Maybe I have been breaking the law all these year unknowingly
    I do the same Im not changing names every time I take someone out with me as long as there is enough people in the boat I heard it was fine.

Yeah they all my pots i don't change names
    I just asking to save me getting a fine or losing my boat
    my rides 3.7 m tinnie
    V8 vn ss
    GQ swb patrol

For more information on responsible crabbing, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23 might be time to make a call if you get an answer post it up.

You must have the different names of the 2 persons on the pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonus View Post
    The advice I got differs from this. The pots must be marked with the owners details. Anyone can operate the pots but only four per person.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

as Horse said, you can legally have 8 pots in your name providing you have two on board, this has been covered by previous posts, confirmed by fisheries to myself and plenty of others

not true. spoke to fisheries last week. The nominated persons must be able to operate the pots from start to finish as well. (rules out 2 year olds etc)

Pots need ur last name address and phone number on it sooo in that case if ur mate breaks his leg get his wife on the boat same last name and address and take his mobile