Thread: GPS Accuracy

GPS Accuracy

There was a recent thread on here but i can't seem to find it. This is just a follow on question to that topic in regard to peoples boats wandering around on there screens while there boat is stationary in the driveway. Would the new units with the 10Hz GPS/GLONASS receiver do the same? The reason i ask is that on the Garmin site they state "With the integration of a 10Hz GPS/GLONASS receiver, the 751 refreshes position and heading up to 10 times per second.". So when they say up to 10 times per second i assume it could be less than that in some circumstances. So just curious if anyone has one has one of the newer units and if it is much better than the previous unit.

Re: GPS Accuracy

yes.. lol simple answer.
    nothing will beat a digital compass. but up dating position 10x faster allows for it to correct more often. so it will still likely wander but it will be small to the to point where its hard to notice

Yeah that's what i would have thought CM, but reading the brochure left me wondering a little. I'ts over my head this sort of stuff (update rates), as if someone say's it updates at 10 times a second, then that's what i would assume it would do, however if someone say's "up to" then that leaves a whole lot of wiggling room.Thanks for the reply.

1. A user will not notice much change at all, heading will be more responsive but then "heading" in this situation is always in the past anyway.

2. 10Hz refesh rate will not improve accuracy and for all intent and purposes the stationary track will essentially appear the same (all things being equal) with extra points along the track

3. Including Glonass can improve accuracy in some situations (decrease/affect it in others) but a marine situation is typically not one of these where major improvement with Glonass would be noticed.

4. From a pure display/visual perpective for a 5hz update rate you have to be doing around 30 knots (15m/sec) to be effective.

I wonder if the screen updates at 10 times a second?

The little sucker would be buzzing like a Morteined blowfly.