Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

Re: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

Crunchy there was a 17ft centre console up the with a 75hp 4 stroke (fishnchippy) He would have been the smallest. He didn't do much though. Just went out through the 4 mile and man handled a couple of Marlin by himself with a bunga hangin out his gob. Everyday kind of stuff ya know .

Quote Originally Posted by Reefmaster View Post

A green jobfish came from this show but there were also lots of sharks as well

Wow Greg you guys are freaks, it goes to show you know this stuff inside out. I was also out there for the first time on the Saturday/Sunday but was unaware of the M&G. We anchored on the grounds to save fuel so we missed the raft up. The majority of our time was spent a fair way north chasing Billies and GTs but we spent half of Sunday looking for my 1st Red. Being the first trip I had no marks but was looking for some more subtle ground which I had some difficulty finding. I found what seemed like a major reef line in about 45-55m running north south but we really struggled, especially with the current. When it's really running do you prefer to anchor on a ledge like the photo above or just do quick drifts? We had some great shows on the sounder, unfortunately we dropped a few good fish and lost a heap of gear before pulling the pin. Any advice would be appreciated..
    Simon

Yep that all helps fella's, its doable then but fuel could be the issue...5.8M CC with 90HP, get around 1.6Km per liter loaded up so could only do around 200Km's with the inbuilt tank and two x 20L totes (Bloody 2stk).... other than that I just need to harden the *&% up about sleeping in the wet, or not sleep at all. See you next year then.

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    Crunchy there was a 17ft centre console up the with a 75hp 4 stroke (fishnchippy) He would have been the smallest. He didn't do much though. Just went out through the 4 mile and man handled a couple of Marlin by himself with a bunga hangin out his gob. Everyday kind of stuff ya know .
    "I'm only little.....", I'm pretty sure I was the smallest, it restricted my fishing a bit, erring on the side of caution and crossing back over the bar on the top of the tide Friday (to avoid any pressure wave activity) and also not fishing outside Saturday because it was blowing a bit first thing in the morning (forecasted 10-15 as per radio report)
    Still had a great time, and will be a starter for next year......but I'll probably organise a larger boat.....

Sleeping arrangements was a hammock strung from the console to the bow bollard......comfy as
    I clocked up 250 k's and used 150ltr of the 200ltr I had onboard (and also organised an extra 80ltr on standby just in case I wanted to go further......)

Very doable in a small boat with the bigger boats for support.

G
    S***fish & chippy

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Yep that all helps fella's, its doable then but fuel could be the issue...5.8M CC with 90HP, get around 1.6Km per liter loaded up so could only do around 200Km's with the inbuilt tank and two x 20L totes (Bloody 2stk).... other than that I just need to harden the *&% up about sleeping in the wet, or not sleep at all. See you next year then.
    Just take more than 2 x totes with you. You can hide the fuel up the back of the beach when you first arrive. Quite a few guys did this without incident.

Can i just say a BIG congratulations to the lump, not only did he survive out at sea at night, he also managed to take the headlamp off for a few minutes, well done macca!

Guys looks like was an awesome trip with pics and video and fun had by all am envious here reading all about it .
    Amazed
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Can i just say a BIG congratulations to the lump, not only did he survive out at sea at night, he also managed to take the headlamp off for a few minutes, well done macca!
    haha consolation prize cause you lost on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    haha consolation prize cause you lost on FB!
    What did i lose?

Sounds like we may have a small boat flotilla next year. Mine is 17.5ft and I am dead keen after all these posts. Won't be able to do 1770 next year, again so definite starter at this stage barring a catastrophe.

Hi crunchy, didn't use my boat this year but used it last year, 5.6m cuddy, 115 4 stroke yammy, with no bunks n wet self draining deck. Did 385km' for 220 litres. This year I had planned to take 300 litres, 200 under floor n 4 x 25l jerrys but end up using mates boat who hadn't been up to breaksea before. To do overnighters, I move my ice box up between the ped seats n put down 2 x 6 foot air beds to sleep on, very comfortable. It is dooable in a smaller boat, but need to be more cautious, I found I could go every where larger boats were going just a bit slower if it blows up, can always sit behind a larger boat for getting home. Being able to carry extra fuel is the main issue, but there are normally bigger boats that go that can carry extra fuel up for you. I have done breaksea 4 times now comfortably so don't rule it out, great place just need to sort your rig out, where you can sleep, store gear, food, bait, ice box n fuel.
    Hope that helps, see you next year

Great reports, great pic's & vids, looks like everyone had a cracker of a time. Couple of questions:

What was the smallest boat in the flotilla?
    What sort of total Km's could one expect to do ramp to ramp if focusing on the closer reefs / grounds?

Obviously I don't want to miss out next time so just seeing if I can handle it logistically! Also I have a wet deck which is not too comfortable for sleeping on, guess I would find a bit of spare floor or a bow to sleep on somewhere on the raft-up?

Cheers
    C
    SF565 Southwind with F115 Yamaha 4 Stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by simonpp82 View Post
    Wow Greg you guys are freaks, it goes to show you know this stuff inside out. I was also out there for the first time on the Saturday/Sunday but was unaware of the M&G. We anchored on the grounds to save fuel so we missed the raft up. The majority of our time was spent a fair way north chasing Billies and GTs but we spent half of Sunday looking for my 1st Red. Being the first trip I had no marks but was looking for some more subtle ground which I had some difficulty finding. I found what seemed like a major reef line in about 45-55m running north south but we really struggled, especially with the current. When it's really running do you prefer to anchor on a ledge like the photo above or just do quick drifts? We had some great shows on the sounder, unfortunately we dropped a few good fish and lost a heap of gear before pulling the pin. Any advice would be appreciated..
    Simon
    Hi Simon,

Good to see you were up there for your first trip and giving it a crack. The Breaksea can be a very tricky and frustrating place to fish. It's situated so close to the continental shelf and in the direct path of the east Australian current which is intersected by a northerly beach current and the tidal influence of Hervey bay and surrounding waters. This unfortunately makes the area prone to strong currents which can make a trip very tough going. I spend all my daylight hours drift fishing which usually see's me backing up on the reefs in reverse keeping the baits directly below the boat and in the strike zone for as long as possible. When the current allows I will anchor before dark on a likely spot and fish the dusk bite period before getting some sleep later that night. If the current is roaring I will continue to drift fish through the night and only anchor to get some sleep.

When is comes to fishing the right ground up there this is where most will go wrong. As most would have experienced there is lots of large reefs scattered the entire length of the breaksea. These are mostly situated along the top of the shelf (apart from the main shoals) and not only are they large in height but also large in width and normally lots of them. Although these areas can hold lots of life and good fish they become difficult to fish. Getting snagged, busted off and badly sharked is the norm in these areas and due to the size of these reefs means it's hard to find fish concentrated in a small area so you're less likely to put a bait in front of a fish where they might be holding.

Like all my fishing I target small isolated reefs which look somewhat uninviting on a sounder at times but hold quality fish a lot of the times. These areas cop less fishing pressure and increase your chances of catching good fish seeing they are much more concentrated and easily targeted with the ability to put baits right in front of them. Finding these isolated reefs is where most fail as they are harder to find and most fishos simply over look them or don't have a good sounder/transducer set up to spot them. The better places to search for these are away from the shelf country and particularly in areas that seem flat and don't hold lots of large reefs. Coming in from the shelf a few km's is a perfect start and keep in mind that the northern section of the breaksea holds a lot of rough country so it's a little harder to find isolated country in that region compared to ground further south.

Hope this helps everyone for future trips.

Regards,
    Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Another M&G, these sort of ones just keep getting better and better. I teamed up with Fishfeeder again and many thanks Brett, always a pleasure to get on that Vagabond.

We headed up at 7 pm Thursday night and arrived just after 12. The trip up took a while as we ran into the Sumos, a lot of jibber jabba and time drifts by, i think they proved the ad wrong, couldnt squeeze into the truck and needed to take another car. At the ramp there where a bunch of boats in the car park so we had a couple of sherberts and headed out in the morning and dumped fuel off at Roonies.

Greg had mentioned a while ago that there was a channel just off the tip of Fraser so we decided to have a look with the option of going the 4 mile if we didnt like the look of it, well what bar, just a nice short easy straight out.

We didnt have any marks down south so we sounded around the 50-60 metre line looking for shows and marking them. Basically we caught bugger all on Friday with lots of shows but nothing but bust offs and sharks. Brett at one stage got dusted 4 times in a row as soon as he dropped and got to the bottom, In the afternoon we found some nice ground on the way back to the raft up so we planned to fish it next day.

Awesome night and raft up, great fun going from boat to boat having a beer and a yarn. Woke up early and back out with Wardy and Phil, we went a bit further south, then worked our way back up to the ground we marked Friday afternoon.

We where doing small drifts and Brett was picking some nice fish right on the back of the rise. I ended up with a nice red of around 10kgs which put up a great fight and thanks to Brett for putting us onto it.

Radio chat was a cracker and good to see Satnav get amongst it as well Fishing went a bit quiet where we where so we headed further north up the grounds we fished last year with Beeracuda, well those ferrets had the same thoughts and arrived about 2 minutes after us so we both drifted along adding the odd fish.

We called it a day and back to Roonies to collect the jerries only see the ferrets from Old Salt doing it hard on the suds doing walrus impersonations in 3 foot of water. Turned around and they are cooking up wagou cheerios or something. Waiting to head back for Any C we got a visit from Fisheries, then they said hello to the others, very relaxed bunch of blokes.

Finally we headed home with Bull getting into the shallows a bit? Great time and fish where a bonus, look forward to the next one!

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001aa.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	97826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001b.jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	97821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001ab.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	97824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001f.jpg 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	97825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001ca.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	97831  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001e.jpg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	97827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	97828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	97830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	97832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04a.jpg 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	97823  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05a.jpg 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	97820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	97822  
    Tangles KFC

That water we the Walruses were in, was warm and the beer cold,but I was sitting down current hmmmmmm ?

Forgot to mention we were checked by them on our way back to the ramp. Oops, we missed a little Hussar that was intended as a whole dead bait. The officer picked it up, handed it to me, oops again it was over the side, and all was good. He was not out to meet a quota and as we were all in order with epirbs, flares etc he was happy to wish us well and continue on their way up to Rooneys. I have never had an issue with being checked, and as long as everything is in order and you treat them well, I always find them good to deal with.