Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

Re: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

Sounds like everyone had a good time and enjoyed this beautiful part of the coastline. There was no shortage of radio talk and I swear some of you would have caught more fish if there wasn’t a radio but it sure was entertaining lol. I felt scared listening to some of you cross the bar but glad everyone got through ok and no doubt learnt a lot for future trips as well. Coming around Ronnies Saturday night and seeing so many boats tied up was pretty impressive.

The weather turned out really well although Friday night was pretty rough offshore with the northerly getting up but that’s to be expected. The fishing was slow by all reports although the area can very much be like this and extra effort and patience is required. We caught some real quality fish in the two days including reds to 11kg, Snapper to 9.1kg and 95cm, Pearlies to 4.5kg, Blue Maori Cod, Green Job fish, big Amberjack, Wahoo to around 25kg , 2 x Black marlin on 8kg line and a mix of other common reef species. We also lost some good reds and other quality fish to sharks but that’s to be expected in the breaksea region although it becomes very frustrating.

I also checked out an area where a barge sank a few years back and put the underwater camera down for a look. As the camera came down it passes an amberjack and in clear view is the barge sitting on a sandy bottom. The camera landed right beside it and although it had a couple small nannygai and a cod swimming around it looked surprisingly baron. As the camera glided down the side of the barge you could clearly see lots of growth had formed but only above the old water line. It was clear that the anti-fowl was still working extremely well on the bottom and partial sides of the hull. A big shark also cruised past the camera before we pulled it back up and viewed the footage on my laptop.

I’m hoping to have my next DVD available in a few months on this particular location so hopefully this will be of some benefit for future Ausfish trips.

Unfortunately I have kept most of the good pics for an article in the December BushnBeach mag but I hope you enjoy the ones I have supplied including some screen shots off the video camera.

Regards
    Greg

One of the reds.

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

A green jobfish came from this show but there were also lots of sharks as well

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Nice pics Greg. Can't wait to see the best ones. How big was the Jobfish? It looks like the one I got last year. Next time come and raft up. I'm sure we can always find a few fenders between 18 boats
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I love how they are the "crappy" photo's greg......

quality mate !!!
    were you really fishing the same area as we all were ???

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Nice pics Greg. Can't wait to see the best ones. How big was the Jobfish? It looks like the one I got last year. Next time come and raft up. I'm sure we can always find a few fenders between 18 boats
    Thanks Neil. Not sure how big the jobbie went but somewhere around the 10kg mark I would say. Mate I would be paranoid about the fender rubbing on the paint job lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    I love how they are the "crappy" photo's greg......
    I didn't say they were crappy lol

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    quality mate !!!
    were you really fishing the same area as we all were ???
    hahaha yes we sure were and plenty of boats saw us fishing the same areas as everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Just quietly I think Humdinger was quite thankful he was being followed on the way home......
    you got that right

i forgot too
    all the yamaha owners i made up a heap of YAMAHARDNESS stickers and forgot to hand them out . if you want them send me a pm and i'll get em out to you
    thanks again to apollo steve will have to catch up for a drink or 3

i suspected fishfeeders call of only red may have been a bit premature. way to go as usual greg.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Greg, what are you doing resting your rods against your gunnels in a lot of the pics! That is what rod holders were invented for! I am surprised your paintwork still looks the way it does! You ought to see my paint in the same areas and I try and get the customers to always have them in the holders.

Great reports, great pic's & vids, looks like everyone had a cracker of a time. Couple of questions:

What was the smallest boat in the flotilla?
    What sort of total Km's could one expect to do ramp to ramp if focusing on the closer reefs / grounds?

Obviously I don't want to miss out next time so just seeing if I can handle it logistically! Also I have a wet deck which is not too comfortable for sleeping on, guess I would find a bit of spare floor or a bow to sleep on somewhere on the raft-up?

Cheers
    C

hey crunchy. inflatable air beds solve wet deck problems and provide a better nights sleep.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Fully read Phil, Kev and Greg's reports. Good stuff fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Great reports, great pic's & vids, looks like everyone had a cracker of a time. Couple of questions:

What was the smallest boat in the flotilla? ... I think Steves ( Apollo ) Keywest was the shortest ? under 6mtrs. mine was a 6.2 CC
    What sort of total Km's could one expect to do ramp to ramp if focusing on the closer reefs / grounds? Varies...... for a one time fish for me... 220k's for 170ltrs fuel., it is reported that others used 400 ltrs over 3 days though.

Obviously I don't want to miss out next time so just seeing if I can handle it logistically! Also I have a wet deck which is not too comfortable for sleeping on, guess I would find a bit of spare floor or a bow to sleep on somewhere on the raft-up? Yes.... usually a spare bit of carpet , bean bag, bed or chair somewhere.

Cheers
    C
    Does that help ? others may wish to respond.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

We were 435L over 2 days, camp stretchers also work for a wet deck, i think fishnchippy's boat may be smaller than apollo's???