Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

Re: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    3. Dont forget he helped with the accuracy of our gps readings also....
    I had a quiet word with the owner of the boat that was unceremoniously plonked on the middle of the ramp at Urangan .... apparently his GPS said he was in the water ....

If only he'd listened to SATNAV!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    I had a quiet word with the owner of the boat that was unceremoniously plonked on the middle of the ramp at Urangan .... apparently his GPS said he was in the water ....

If only he'd listened to SATNAV!
    Obviously it didnt update fast enough......

1. Im just happy the message got out and no one followed me around to my secret spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    1. Im just happy the message got out and no one followed me around to my secret spots.
    I dont think humdinger liked being followed either......

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    I dont think humdinger liked being followed either......
    Just quietly I think Humdinger was quite thankful he was being followed on the way home......

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    No gloves Graeme, would have thought someone of your experience would have been gloved up!

So you haven't been there since Scotty took the Quintrex up? You guys were heavy tackle the whole time in it weren't you?

Found all your vids too from that link. Some good ones there. Like the one that attacked Owen and Laurie!
    G'day Smithy, long time no see....
    Mate, how good is your bloody memory??? You are spot on, I had been there previously fishing light tackle, but the heavy tackle trip with Scotty was the last one.

Owen did an outstanding job of tagging that fish in the live bait tank......I just couldn't get 5 Star moving quick enough to get that fish back at the stern, we were lucky it came over the side backwards.......but the footage of the billies on baits we got at Hinchenbrook a few years ago is my favourite.

But......guilty as charged re the gloves. I tend to get a bit complacent with the little ones, this time I got a hook in my thumb for my trouble. Maybe I should get out of the chair and do some more fishing to get back in the swing of things..

Walrus....
    No damage to my mits from the bill, they (bills) feel like 60grit sandpaper (and will remove skin), but my hands are fairly tough and it didn't even leave a mark, hooks are a different story.
    As for the fish coming over the back, what the vid doesn't show is when it was at the side of the boat, head out of the water ready to launch straight over the side directly at me (given any tension on the leader), so I gave it some slack and its the only reason it was allowed to get around the back. When it lifted its had again to jump, I gave it a little bit of help and at least I had some measure of control over where it would end up. So not the ideal outcome, but when fishing solo for these little buggers sometimes you have to make the most of a bad situation, I certainly would not choose to launch a fish into a boat as a first choice. If I wasn't solo, the footage would be much different.

G
    S***fish & chippy

Well I couldn't sit on the sideline any longer ....to say reading all that has to do with this meet and greet since its inception through to it's finale has been very painfull to say the least , I've told my entire family that no one and I mean no one is to organize anything for next November ...so please Neil don't go changing the month on me cause I ain't missin out again.....well done to all those that attended.
    Cheers Mm
    I am a fisherman,it's not something I merely do,it is who I am! Fishing is not simply my escape,it is where I am supposed to be,it is not a place that I go, But a life long journey I am taking, it is a passage that was shown to me and that I will continue to show to others. When you understand all of this, you will then know me and we will fish together.

Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

This weekend looks alright, just sayin......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0095.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	97737Oh where to start... my first m&g... fantastic bunch. Thanks to all involved and great to meet so many nice people.

Our story begins with a final loading with departure at 6pm. On to bcf for a trailer light bulb that had died. Arrived about 2am launched gave matt the helm and slept. Glassout to roonies arriving with first light. Bacon and eggs coffee. More coffee. Head off with a few others and as we had no bait threw slugs at a few mtuna to get one about 4kg. Scout was ahead so we chased him down and crossed the 4 mile behind him. Apparantly the 4 mile is a bar..... but you could have rowed a canoe across it.
    We headed towards the shoal and tossed poppers. Along with lots of bait....... no gt. ooops yes 1 GT. Matt is onto his inuaugural GT of 20 kg on the skilled coaching of Le the GT legend http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Headed to spit bombie. Threw lots of poppers to get no GT but did get several blue fin trevally of about 3 to 6 kg. No pics

With the sun high and hot ....
    We headed wide to the 400 m line...

Ok now to the deep...... wow fish galore after a bit of sounding about.... found a fantastic wall 95 metres high that ran north south for about 130 metres. So...... in the area at 430m got this nice little fella@ 47kg is my pb but not the boats pb...its a bass groper... And then another first with a few nice flame snapper
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/att...&thumb=1&stc=1

The surprise was my first ever ruby snapper but at this stage I dont have a pic. We got 4 with the best going 10kg.

Matt boated us our first Bar cod nad at about 12kg it was a nice tiddler.

That afternoon, towards sunset we headed back into the shoal and threw a few poppers. A flock of flying fish 'flew' by obviously being chased and Le was ready to cast so aimed at the flyers. BANG the Mahimahi hit the popper on the first wind in a blaze of colour and foam. Le haveing caught a total of 76 GT's to date knows his 'takes' and he declared the biggest ever. A phenomenal sight.
    No more action was to be enjoyed so we headed into raft up and were the third last boat to join the raft that night.

Food, beer wine and tall tales then .....bed... so good

First light breaky, up and at em. Gotta chase another mack tuna... they are a bit timid, anyway we got 2 at about 8kg each... bait!

Over the bar - flat. Not even enough to give Le crossing lessons
    On to the shoal ZIP
    Trolled around the shoal and despite some other hooking up .... Zip,
    So we high speed trolled towards the spit bombie in 35 m and got to see the beautiful 'Tall ship". Trolled near the ship Zip.
    I went for a nap and the guys were generous enough to wake me to wind in my marlin.. just a 15kg rat but still a marlin. Unfortunately when attempting to do the photo shoot it decided to try and break my boat and killed itself in the process. into the esky it went.

Out we go to the deeeeep after mr marlin .....ooops nice bottom here... drop a few jigs into about 40m and aaamberjacks

Too small to keep but good fun
    Onto the deeep. Yes got there.
    I fish, Matt and Le sleeeeep. You gotta be kidding.
    No big guys but I did get another 1 flame and 3 Ruby snapper with the best at 10kg.

Boys we are running out of light, so we blast into the spit bombie and Popp.

Le is ON ooops no he's not. Reefed.

Holy smakkin gazoolies, there is a VW chasing my popper. GGGGGGGTTTTTTTT i'm on fight, fight hang on for dear life, nearer around the back of the boat, closer, just about to colour.... hooks pulled

Oh well I am getting closer

Decide to go and have a try for some bottom species in the dark. Drift is fast at 3knots so by the time we are near the shoal it is about 8pm so we call it a day.

We learn a lesson... when everyone has left, the radio doesn't reach anyone... it is quite remote up there. We get to the flotilla at 10pm but there is a bit of wind, so the group was apart and tucked up into bed.

After a big day we settle, catch some stonking yakkas for next time and sleep.
    On waking sunday morning 10am.... where is everyone. not a boat to be seen. deserted. C'mon fellas just cos we had different red fish on board

So we head home... Arrive with 23litres fuel from the 500litres we started with.
    Drive, fillet, beer Bed

Phil Le Matt
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zwake.jpg 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	97742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leflame.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	97743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leMAhi.jpg 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	97744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mattbarcod.jpg 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	97745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allfish.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	97746  

Name:	ship.jpg 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	97747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flame3.jpg 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	97741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTmatt.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	97739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BG2.jpg 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	97740  

Name:	Rony with a 7kg snapper.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	97736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eggys first mahimahi.jpg 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	97735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eggys first balck marlin.jpg 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	97734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggy tracing a black marlin.jpg 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	97733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggy swiming a black marlin before release.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	97732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eggy releasing a tagged black marlin.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	97731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggy and Kev with dolphin fish.jpg 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	97730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bait show that the marlin were feeding around.jpg 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	97729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1470412_10201125901291230_326924485_n[2].jpg 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	97728

Name:	1469857_10201125874770567_1520971865_n[1].jpg 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	97727
    Break Sea SpitMarlin trip “Whitehorse2” November 2013

Eggy and myself met up Wednesday afternoon for a couple ofcold beers and a trip - list tick off session, we were heading away for threedays and two nights up the top of Fraser Island onboard my boat to do some chillaxingand a spot of marlin fishing along with hopefully bringing home a feed of freshreef fish. The list was all good to go,so with 580 litres of fuel onboard theboat, enough 5star food to feed an army, including cornflakes for breakfast,biscuits and lollies for morning and afternoon teas, MSA rib fillet steaks fordinner and lunches and some marinade sauce for fresh fish burgers that was onthe second nights menu. We were set and veryexcited to hopeful make some of our dreams of the past few weeks come true…

The alarm went off at 0230hrs Thursday morning and beingjust a few hours since I had hit the sack, it was time to go go go. Eggy and I left Bundy by 0300hrs for HerveyBay to pick up Rony my other crewy to make up the Whitehorse2 team for the nextfew days.

The boat was launched at 0500hrs in the Urangan harbour andthe trip up the island was a great way to kick of the first day of ouradventure. Eggy and Rony had both nevertagged and released a marlin before so that was my goal for the trip, pressure’son skipper! We arrived at Rooney’s pointand toped up the back fuel tank to free up some rear deck space, beforecontinuing on to the 13 mile crossing of the spit.

The wind was south easterly at 15 knots and allowed acomfortable following sea trip at an average speed of 20 knots to thecrossing. Once we hit the eastern sideof the spit the lures were deployed, and the “hours and hours of boredomfollowed by minutes of shear excitement” was begun.

The boat was using on average 12-13 litres an hour trollingat 6.7knots, and for the first 3 hours we never found many bait balls and hadonly one strike with nil hook-up. Righton the top of the tide at 1030hrs the bait seemed to gather together and wetrolled figure of eight patterns over the bait shows in anticipation of findthe bait find the fish theory.

Well on our third pass through the show, Eggy was on strikeand a feisty black marlin just on 2 meters in size took the short corner lurethat was a blue and black in colour Tropic Angler 6 inch skirt. Well the teasers and other lines were clearedand the moments of excitement had arrived. After a brief fight, the fish was brought boat side and tagged, then aquick photo was undertaken and the fish was returned to the water and swam forthe release. High fives all around andEggy was absolutely stoked! Dream one a reality!

Next on strike was Rony and with a similar pattern used inthe spread again the long corner lure was taken. With a repeat of the process, all was goingwell until Eggy got on the trace for Rony and the fish jumped off boatside…. Itwas near Tears all round, no high fives… LNightmare one a reality for the skipper and crew!

Rony had previously hooked a few billies but never landedone, so it seemed his dreams were to be on hold for a little while longer. For the next few hours we chewed up the fuelwith a few strikes but no hook ups, the bait seemed to disappear…

We elected to drop some baits to the bottom and have a fewwood smoked ham sandwiches for lunch with corn relish and coleslaw and we wouldreattempt the trolling later in the afternoon.

The sea state was settling down and made for a very pleasantafternoon on the deep blue ocean. Weworked the 55 meter line and managed to pick up some 40cm hussar, a few parrotand a couple of nice 7kg plus snapper, that was what we managed to get past themany sharks that seemed to be unavoidable.

At 4pm with the afternoon seabreeze taking the glassynessoff the top of the ocean, we put the lures back in and began the troll back intowards the spit to hopefully find the billies again. There seemed to be more bait showing up justoutside the crossing area so we worked the shows and on the second pass, theratchet screamed off on the short rigger lure a black and orange colouredskirt. Rony was onto it and with somevery exciting aerial jumps and tail walking demonstrations; he managed to stayconnected to the black marlin. We taggedthe fish and released it in no time, so a celebratory beverage was then enjoyedby all. Mission accomplished and wehadn’t even finished day one yet, and both the virgin marlin anglers were nowon a high...A couple of our Dreams had come true… J

We then reset the spread and teasers out and on the verynext pass Eggy hooked a mahi mahi being another first for him. More celebrations and a bit of yahooing couldprobably be heard back at Rooney’s.

As the sun set over the horizon, we pulled the lures in andheaded back to the calm waters and pristine location of Rooney’s point to raftup with the other 8 or so boats that had arrived on the Thursday evening. We had a cook up of the rib fillet steak andbanana prawns topped with white cheese sauce… we did it tough I tell you… A couple of quiet beers and we were all readyfor a well earned rest, so we bunked down for the night at around 930pm.

The alarm went off at 0230hrs again so we tidied up thedeck, refuelled the tanks from the jerry cans, had our breakfast and set courseback out to the 13 mile crossing. Wedecided on trolling for some pelagic fish on the spit bommie as the sun waspeaking over the eastern horizon. Wemanaged to have multiple hook-ups and land a plethora of trevally speciesincluding GT’s, gold spots and a mack tuna (another first for Eggy)and lost afew of the other hook-ups.

We then returned tothe areas where we got the billies the day before and after a few more hours oftrolling we had nothing to show for our efforts. Back to the bottom fishing again with a cook upof onions and steak burgers by the skipper had the boys well feed and ready forthe afternoon game fishing session.

We set the spread out once again and had trolled about 100meters when the first strike was recorded and we were hooked up on anotherbillie, then we lost it during a big jumping display before the other lineswere cleared, reset the lures again, another 100meters and on again, “That’snot living Barry, this is living!

This time Eggy had himself all sorted and landed a blackover the two meter mark that performed like it was on steroids. This included some big jumps boat sideclearing the water and hitting the hardtop canopy of the boat and nearlysnapping the radio aerial off.

After this fish, the next hour was just a smashing time wehad 7.5.4 with billies and mahimahi in the mix both Rony and Eggy getting acouple marlin each and I played with a few as well along with a dolly. This wasone of the hottest bites I’d had for a few years…

The sun was then approaching the horizon again and it wastime to leave this wonderful place for the “Raft up of all raft ups” back atRooney’s. We rounded the point and itwas like a city of lights, I thought there was a cruise ship parked up for thenight, about 18 boats side by side, with average of three on board each, madefor a great mix of young, old, male and female anglers that were sharing such awonderful experience as a group of like minded mates.

The marinated fish I cooked up went down very well, with acouple of cold refreshments, to celebrate our successful day over thespit. The blue underwater lights on ourboat were attracting some yakkas and the young ones on neighbouring boats werehaving a ball catching some bait for the next day’s fishing. We then unhooked from the pack and droppedanchor in a space between the few yachts scatted along the beach.

It was then time for a little rumbo for dessert and as weenjoyed reminiscing about our great trip so far, the yakkas came in thick againat the back of the boat. Rony, Eggy and me(Kevie) were all making a team effort to catch some little marlin like baitfish under the moon light…into the night we fished and sipped on a little “joy”of life. We ended up catching about15kgs of yakkas and then we were quiet relaxed and ready for bed around 1130pm.

We slept in the next morning until 0430hrs, had breakfastand then refuelled again with enough fuel for a few hours trolling and then the35 mile run back to the harbour. We trolled Rooney’s and then the four mile, Fergusonspit and the spoil grounds with Eggy picking up a nice sized tuna. With plenty of fish surface activity in theseareas we were confident of a marlin inside the bay, but unfortunately we couldnot raise a bill.

It was decided that we would set course for the harbourwhile the wind was 3knots from the northeast so we had a nice slight followingsea for the run home at 25 knots.

Our total tally for the game fishing side of things was frommemory 22.17.12 including 4 black marlin, 2 mahi mahi, 2 tuna and 2 GT’s and 2 otherTrevally captured.

We used a total of 500 litres of fuel leaving us 80 litresin the tank when we winched the old girl back on the trailer and travelled 275nautical miles or 510 kilometres by the GPS trip meter in my 6.2mt pride withthe 200hp Etec outboard (That ran like a gem!).

To say that this trip has made some wonderful life longmemories for us all and given me the game fishing bug again for this season isan understatement. With many “firsts”for my crew members and just in general having a very enjoyable time fishingthe Break Sea Spit for Marlin and all the other fish species that thisfantastic location has to offer, we are already discussing plans to go and doit all again.

Thank you to my crew and the Ausfish members who attendedthis meet and greet gathering, until next time, May you dream of leapingmarlins and hear the sounds of your screaming drags….

Cheers Kev.

Just Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Go Back to post 84 for our report
    phil

You're the king of the snapper again Kev. Great read mate.

Boy am I glad to see todays reports. After reading this thread last night, and telling people to take a look around the shoals and Spit Bommie for gts, I was beginning to think I had lead you all up a scrubby gully (or a barren reef).

Now I can breathe a bit easier seeing that some boats did land some, and were briefly connected to others. It might also mean that I will be able to attend a future M&G up there without fear of being force to "walk the plank" in the middle of the raft up one night.

Some great fish caught by those who attended. Top effort. Trouble is, I dont think I can wait for my new boat to be finished. Might have to load the little shark cat up and head back up that way in the near future.

cheers

Jeff

Was great to catch up with you all up there, what a fantastic place for a M&G

Tangles can do our report up (deckie duties) but I just have to say I think we got the only RED for the trip !!

I have my hand up for a March - April trip next year !!!

Cheers
    Brett