Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

Re: Breaksea M&G breakdown - Maritime Men's Shed

As Horse said, what a weekend.
    First of all, thanks to Steve for the weekend. Trip up was great, well I lie. Realised real quick how wet a centre console can be but we made it, wet but we made it. And no I wasn’t smiling but a quick change of clothes, some roast chicken rolls, a few beverages, good company and all was good.
    Many thanks to Mike and Bill for the dry storage provided for cloths and bedding. Very much appreciated.
    Friday saw us heading out the 4 mile following the marks for it when we were confronted with a wall of white water, breaking waves. So I sneaked a peak at the gps which had us going through the middle of it. The look on my face must have been good, as Steve after very little discussion said ok we’ll head east a bit more as it looks much better which resulted in a dream run through at 20kn. Both of us couldn’t believe our eyes when Chimo emerged from the washing machine after following the track through.
    Tough couple days fishing with a bit of a learning curve given that this was the first time Steve had had Whatever!! offshore and did his best to find fish while working on a few sounder issues. Found some good shows and lost some good fish to the grey suits which resulted in a pretty disheartening esky but that’s fishing.The raft up that night was impressive to say the least, would have loved to know what some of those yachties were thinking.
    Day 2 saw us heading north to the 13mile crossing which was uneventful, it really is an amazing area the breaksea, at times we had half a dozen dolphins playing just under the bow with one in particular trying its best to become one with the boat and in the process drenching both Steve and I. Another quite day with a few fish coming on board. The electric anchor worked a treat with Steve hitting the spotlock on the minn cota to hold us over a couple of good shows. Again the luck on the trolling was missing but all in all was great to be out there.
    Anyway, thanks all for a great couple of days. Now I’ve just got to convince the body.
    Mark
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

Thanks guys for the tips! Make another M&G up there for March, and I will be there! Cmon!!!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

1. 1225HP of pure Yamahardness!!!!

2. Locally made products, imported products, home made products and I don't know whether I'm talking about booze or boats here........

3. A 10 year old, an ancient year old, men, women, normal people and Rip Tide owners...

To the attendees of the 2013 Breaksea Spit M&G Team Ass Salt Weapon would like to thank you with a special mention to the following people........

4a. Fishinchippy for your help with, well........heaps of stuff!!!
    b. Apollo and Trymyluck for the fuel runs
    c. MyRules and Marty for the use of your bbq's when mine decided to become a Mercury.
    After 2 pretty solid weeks of fishing 1770 and enough fish in the freezers we decided we'd give the reef fishing a bit of a miss and instead we trolled for a couple of days. Not seeing much schooled up bait we concentrated our efforts around current lines and predominant rises on the sea floor for some pretty reassuring early season results. With continual accuracy checks being performed on my GPS units we towed a spread of 4 skirts with pink and purple skirts being the most popular despite being run in any of the positions.
    I think out of all of the boats we trolled the most whilst the others opted to bottom bash which worked in our favor given the new boatie laws preventing 3 or more boats driving around together which would have caused all sorts of trouble and letter to our local MPs.

Comradery amongst all the boats was at an all time high throughout the weekend with numerous whip arounds for fuel and booze going on so you can all give yourselves a big pat on the back for a job well done guys..........except for Macca, someone will probably have to do it for him.
    In all seriousness it was a great weekend with great company in a great part of the world....the boat to boat walk overs in the name of socializing, looking out for our mates on the water and just creating some more awesome memories in a very special part of the world. No one got 'left out' so to speak.....if someone wasn't on fish a bit of guidance was only a radio call away and a lot of the time it didn't even get to that, there was a lot of very useful volunteered information coming across the radio so everyone could make the most of the weekend.....information coming from scouts around the place, a boat of pussies with crabs and some wicked fishermen amongst us......thanks guys!
    A big thanks to everyone that made it such a great weekend and I can't wait till the next one.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0981.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	97650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0984.jpg 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	97651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0985.jpg 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	97652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0988.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	97653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0997.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	97655  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1003.jpg 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	97656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1006.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	97657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1008.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	97658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1009.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	97659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	97660  

Name:	IMG_1994.jpg 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	97661  

This M&G was a no brainer for me to attend.

I hadn't had the opportunity to fish billies off Breaksea for 15yrs, and had always been keen to get back there.
    While the support I ended up needing was 'minimal', the fact that there were 20odd other boats/crews who would give you any assistance necessary was the piece of mind that was required.

Met up with the big boys at the marina and did the conga line thing up the highway. the trip up was only marred by some little car in Gympie trying to commit suicide in front of me (and the semi behind me), diving out from a side street across traffic and almost removing my bullbar....not happy...oh, and realising that 2" of wheel travel on the trailer is not enough for that goat track they call the Bruce Highway....

Thursday night raft up was great, and at one point (when some of those photos were taken) i almost died from laughter....lucky for me i survived...but only just.

Friday, Oceanranger and I were the first across the 4mile....lets call it a bar....and conditions were perfect.
    I only wanted to fish for billies, and 1/2 hour later my first Breaksea billie in 15yrs was crossed off.
    Ended up going 2-2-2 on blacks and back over the bar before the top of the tide.

Friday night raft up was nothing short of epic, and i think a suggestion of a yakka comp for next years event should be concidered.

Saturday morning's conditions saw me fishing back down the bay instead of heading back out around the top, and was back on the trailer before lunch and home by dark.

Anyone who likes the social side of fishing and has a sence of adventure, book in now for the next event...I know I am, albeit with a bigger boat...

Special thanks to Jim (and mrs Hog for the potatoe bake), Marty, ASW and crew...

Name:	DSC02318.jpg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	97654

Name:	DSC02386.jpg 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	97649

G
    (short vid of the bills to come)
    S***fish & chippy

Naomi,Dave &Muddy,what a great shot of the Billy.The Mahi Mahi are a fish I wanted to tick off, but missed out,well done.Beware of 'Cats piss' if mooring on the starboard side of Old Salt !

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    Naomi,Dave &Muddy,what a great shot of the Billy.The Mahi Mahi are a fish I wanted to tick off, but missed out,well done.Beware of 'Cats piss' if mooring on the starboard side of Old Salt !

We were anchored up about 300m away this morning and I still woke up to a poor little electric motor laboring............poor little macerator!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    Thanks guys for the tips! Make another M&G up there for March, and I will be there! Cmon!!!
    Ok Muddy, now I'm confused. What's to "Dislike" about that??
    Btw, good to see you having a go at the pelagics. Did anyone chuck a popper at the Break sea bombie? Supposed to be GTS the size of VW bonnets there.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post

2. Locally made products, imported products, home made products and I don't know whether I'm talking about booze or boats here........

3. A 10 year old, an ancient year old, men, women, normal people and Rip Tide owners...

To the attendees of the 2013 Breaksea Spit M&G Team Ass Salt Weapon would like to thank you with a special mention to the following people........

c. MyRules and Marty for the use of your bbq's when mine decided to become a Mercury.
    After 2 pretty solid weeks of fishing 1770 and enough fish in the freezers we decided we'd give the reef fishing a bit of a miss and instead we trolled for a couple of days. Not seeing much schooled up bait we concentrated our efforts around current lines and predominant rises on the sea floor for some pretty reassuring early season results. With continual accuracy checks being performed on my GPS units we towed a spread of 4 skirts with pink and purple skirts being the most popular despite being run in any of the positions.
    I think out of all of the boats we trolled the most whilst the others opted to bottom bash which worked in our favor given the new boatie laws preventing 3 or more boats driving around together which would have caused all sorts of trouble and letter to our local MPs.

Comradery amongst all the boats was at an all time high throughout the weekend with numerous whip arounds for fuel and booze going on so you can all give yourselves a big pat on the back for a job well done guys..........except for Macca, someone will probably have to do it for him.
    In all seriousness it was a great weekend with great company in a great part of the world....the boat to boat walk overs in the name of socializing, looking out for our mates on the water and just creating some more awesome memories in a very special part of the world. No one got 'left out' so to speak.....if someone wasn't on fish a bit of guidance was only a radio call away and a lot of the time it didn't even get to that, there was a lot of very useful volunteered information coming across the radio so everyone could make the most of the weekend.....information coming from scouts around the place, a boat of pussies with crabs and some wicked fishermen amongst us......thanks guys!
    A big thanks to everyone that made it such a great weekend and I can't wait till the next one.
    Well said there young fella and thanks for the entertainment as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    Naomi,Dave &Muddy,what a great shot of the Billy.The Mahi Mahi are a fish I wanted to tick off.....
    giffo,
    vermin don't count for much when your marlin fishing.......
    just saying...
    S***fish & chippy

Btw, good to see you having a go at the pelagics. Did anyone chuck a popper at the Break sea bombie? Supposed to be GTS the size of VW bonnets there.
    Hmmmm, oceanranger24 may chime in here.....

Hahaha!!! Too much sun for me and I'm still trolling.............Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Quote Originally Posted by fish'n'chippy View Post
    giffo,
    vermin don't count for much when your marlin fishing.......
    just saying...
    It was only a matter of time wasn't it.........prick!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post

Cracker marlin and wahoo, congrats to mrs floyd on her 1st marlin too

Muddy, you will need a wider boat if Nomes wants an upgrade on her Billie. Nice "bycatch" as well
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Fish&Chippy

A tasty vermin apparently,me and Boat Hog almost said Gday to your double at the ramp today at Urangan.We were looking at a 23 foot centre cab sitting on the ramp a long way from the wet stuff boats float in.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Muddy, you will need a wider boat if Nomes wants an upgrade on her Billie. Nice "bycatch" as well

Funny you should say that buddy..............turns out it was a fair bit bigger than what we thought it was when it was in the water.

Swam away like a freight train......not all docile like normal.