Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatal jet ski collision with boat

Fatal jet ski collision with boat

Who is surprised?, tragic news but we need to get these high powered jet skis out of confined waters and restrict them to open waters..
    ###############

A man has died after a jetski crash on a Gold Coast river.

Police say the 22-year-old was riding the jetski on the Coomera River at Paradise Point at about 5.45pm (AEST) on Saturday and initial reports suggest he collided with a small boat.

"The occupants of the boat immediately recovered the man from the river and provided medical assistance before emergency crews arrived," police said in a statement.
    He was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...rash#undefined

Re: Fatal jet ski collision with boat

Attachment 97605

This is the Ride Smart sticker which is required by law to be attached near the steering of all jet skis.
    It states, as you can see, that a rider must slow down within 60 metres of swimmers or vessels.

60m..... Not very far at all.
    Another interpretation is that it is perfectly legal to travel at 100kmh only 65m away from persons or vessels.

The Distance should be, IMO, more like 150m.

This tragedy is bad enough, but it could happen again. We need to keep more space.

Are you serious?, 60 metres? ive had some come so close I could spit on them, this needs more policing with demerit points to carry over to car licence.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Who is surprised?, tragic news but we need to get these high powered jet skis out of confined waters and restrict them to open waters..
    Then we better ban high powered motorcycles out of residential areas and restrict them to highway use too?

Quote Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post

This is the Ride Smart sticker which is required by law to be attached near the steering of all jet skis.
    It states, as you can see, that a rider must slow down within 60 metres of swimmers or vessels.

60m..... Not very far at all.
    Another interpretation is that it is perfectly legal to travel at 100kmh only 65m away from persons or vessels.

The Distance should be, IMO, more like 150m.
    Exceptions apply to 6 knots within 60m of the shore under the following conditions:

• The waterway is less than 120m wide, and:
      • the operator is operating the PWC in as close as possible to a straight line to transit the area
      • the operator stays as close as is possible to the centre of the waterway or a marked channel.

• The PWC is being used in waterskiing/towing.

Great to see the anti jetski brigade jump on board before a cause has even been determined ... I can be just as much as a dick in a tinny or a 200hp bass boat or a 40ft riv or the same on a "high powered" pwc..

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009L03712

"IF" pwc operator is too blame.. the OPERATOR is too blame not what watercraft he chose to break the law on..

I've seen more "boats" break these rules than i can think of -

Maximum six knots, and no wash within 30m of:
    boats anchored or moored to the shore or aground,
    jetty, wharf, pontoon or boat ramp,
    people in the water, surfboard riders, etc
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

20 yrs ago I helped a bloke who hit the hope island bridge at speed on a jet ski he was in a bad way but what came out of it was he backed of the throttle so had no way of steering himself out of the situation due to inexperience. And recently I had a go on a high powered version of a Yamaha jet ski and to be honest I couldn't get of it quick enough ,they appear way dangerous to me ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Isn't it 6 knots all vessels in the river in that area

It's 6 knots in my part of the river but that only applies to me apparently

I narrowly avoided a nob doing stupid thing on his PWC near the seaway a few months back. He was looking back at the wave he jumped and lined up another bigger boats wash and didn't see me at all. I could see that he had no clue that I was there and luckily for my family and I , I turned away just as he looked up. He did crap him self and so did we. That so could easily have been the same scenario. It will keep on happening until the authorities get tougher. I also agree that boats owners aren't always clean skins.

What we have here is much like a car vs. motorbike scenario.

A bike or jet ski is capable of all sorts of speeds, requires less room and is less committed to roads or channels or water depths. But they have no protection for the operator in a crash.

The solution for jet ski operators, as I said earlier, is for them to keep a more respectable distance.

For boat owners, involvement in a collision with a jet ski is going to be a terrible experience. So....keep an eye out for jet skis, and assume they are not considering mainstream boat traffic, and are likely to do something erratic.

And before anyone thinks I am part of an anti jet ski brigade, well no. After almost four decades of power boats I am running around on a Sea Doo jet ski in the past year. (see my Avatar?)

Pauly

I don't have a problem with PWC if they have effective mufflers and are restricted to 6 knots everywhere. Its very sad that someone has died and hopefully the investigations will shed light on ways to make our waterways safer for all
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Sad ending for the family, sense comes with age and experience http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Then we better ban high powered motorcycles out of residential areas and restrict them to highway use too?

Exceptions apply to 6 knots within 60m of the shore under the following conditions:

• The waterway is less than 120m wide, and:
      • the operator is operating the PWC in as close as possible to a straight line to transit the area
      • the operator stays as close as is possible to the centre of the waterway or a marked channel.
    • The PWC is being used in waterskiing/towing.

Great to see the anti jetski brigade jump on board before a cause has even been determined ... I can be just as much as a dick in a tinny or a 200hp bass boat or a 40ft riv or the same on a "high powered" pwc..

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009L03712

"IF" pwc operator is too blame.. the OPERATOR is too blame not what watercraft he chose to break the law on..

I've seen more "boats" break these rules than i can think of -

Maximum six knots, and no wash within 30m of:
    boats anchored or moored to the shore or aground,
    jetty, wharf, pontoon or boat ramp,
    people in the water, surfboard riders, etc
    Triple,
    There is a world of difference between your average Jet ski rider (on their JETSKI) and the average boatie.

Aside from speed boats - the average boatie is going fishing, trolling or having a cruise on the river. (there are always exceptions to the rule)

Jet skis however are made to do one thing - GO FAST! - And go fast they do - Some riders are considerate. Most have no idea. - They are akin to motorbike riders weaving in and out of traffic on the highway. Curiously amongst others - a few of the ones I see on jet skis are not much more than teenage girls hooning around on their boyfriends machines.

What do we call them? - Temporary Australians. - Why - because they drive too fast in areas where they don't have a right too.

IMO - they deserve 90% of all the critism they get -

If the flack they cop averts just a few incidents - it's well worth it.

Mark

Sad story.
    Last edited by Andy H; 11-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post

And before anyone thinks I am part of an anti jet ski brigade, well no. After almost four decades of power boats I am running around on a Sea Doo jet ski in the past year. (see my Avatar?)

Pauly
    Your the next one if you keep taking selfies at speed [like in your avatar].

Quote Originally Posted by banksmister View Post
    Your the next one if you keep taking selfies at speed [like in your avatar].
    What makes you think that was a selfie? - See the surprised expression on Paulys face.

The photo was obviously taken by someone on the boat he was about to hit!

Mark