Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatal jet ski collision with boat

Re: Fatal jet ski collision with boat

Thanks Mark,
    I could make all kinds of jokes here, like "I recovered their camera and found...." or that "I was on the back seat and the driver turned around to take that photo"

However this thread is not funny and will never be.

At least I practise what I preach. That is St Helena in the background as I head towards Port of Brisbane on a freezing cold Friday arvo in July.

Very miserable day. There was only one boat in the area surrounding Mud Island that afternoon.

At the position where my little photo was taken there were no boats in 600-1000 metres.

As soon as you take your hand off the throttle grip you stop automatically, anyway.
    And my normal cruise speed is a whopping 45-55 kmh

If I want to stuff up and croak at my old age with so much knowledge and experience, you wont help me.

But my heart breaks for young people and their families like in the tragedy this weekend. He never learned what we are trying to discuss and share here.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    Triple,
    There is a world of difference between your average Jet ski rider (on their JETSKI) and the average boatie.

Aside from speed boats - the average boatie is going fishing, trolling or having a cruise on the river. (there are always exceptions to the rule)

Jet skis however are made to do one thing - GO FAST! - And go fast they do - Some riders are considerate. Most have no idea. - They are akin to motorbike riders weaving in and out of traffic on the highway. Curiously amongst others - a few of the ones I see on jet skis are not much more than teenage girls hooning around on their boyfriends machines.

What do we call them? - Temporary Australians. - Why - because they drive too fast in areas where they don't have a right too.

IMO - they deserve 90% of all the critism they get -

If the flack they cop averts just a few incidents - it's well worth it.

Mark
    iv owned 9 dirt bikes and got them going as fast as I can afford to get them going, iv owned 2 Yamaha r1s 1000cc road bikes and got them going as fast as I can get them to go with the money I spent on them, I have never crashed me road bikes or caused a crash.
    1 thing I hated is a guy or girl go buy there 1st bike ever and get something way to fast and die in the 1st 2 weeks, but there's one more thing I hate more, that's people saying hate about road bikes because of uneducated riders or wankers that wreck it for everyone else.
    I wouldn't mind seeing drink driving band, and wat I mean is .00 but I don't preach it cause theres others out there that hav a couple and don't go over the limit, so y should I try wreck it for them
    now that I have bought a jet ski I am finding the same hate fast, but what I hate is the first time I took my ski out on Sunday at tweed was other jet skis unload at the boat ramp and the 1st thing they did was power slides and donuts, 50-70m from ramp, causing a lot of wake for the poor boaties, even through those jet skiers I thought were dick heads legally they are allowed to do it, so some of the rules are wrong.

I got a ski mate its not just to go fast, its for family fun, tow surfing, jumping waves, and a lot of fishing all legal.
    and I disagree that 90% of us deserve the criticism, tweed ramp car park was 90% jet skis on Sunday and I was out all day, from ramp to Fingal sand pumping jetty back n forth running my ski in and out of about 30 ski I say 3 wankers that were pretty young and needed educating.

if 90% of bike riders were that bad there would be a lot more deaths, accidents and I wouldn't be alive.
    so calm down on the hate everyone
    Screaming drag is my drug

Quote Originally Posted by conco46 View Post
    iv owned 9 dirt bikes and got them going as fast as I can afford to get them going, iv owned 2 Yamaha r1s 1000cc road bikes and got them going as fast as I can get them to go with the money I spent on them, I have never crashed me road bikes or caused a crash.
    1 thing I hated is a guy or girl go buy there 1st bike ever and get something way to fast and die in the 1st 2 weeks, but there's one more thing I hate more, that's people saying hate about road bikes because of uneducated riders or wankers that wreck it for everyone else.
    I wouldn't mind seeing drink driving band, and wat I mean is .00 but I don't preach it cause theres others out there that hav a couple and don't go over the limit, so y should I try wreck it for them
    now that I have bought a jet ski I am finding the same hate fast, but what I hate is the first time I took my ski out on Sunday at tweed was other jet skis unload at the boat ramp and the 1st thing they did was power slides and donuts, 50-70m from ramp, causing a lot of wake for the poor boaties, even through those jet skiers I thought were dick heads legally they are allowed to do it, so some of the rules are wrong.

I got a ski mate its not just to go fast, its for family fun, tow surfing, jumping waves, and a lot of fishing all legal.
    and I disagree that 90% of us deserve the criticism, tweed ramp car park was 90% jet skis on Sunday and I was out all day, from ramp to Fingal sand pumping jetty back n forth running my ski in and out of about 30 ski I say 3 wankers that were pretty young and needed educating.

if 90% of bike riders were that bad there would be a lot more deaths, accidents and I wouldn't be alive.
    so calm down on the hate everyone
    Hey Conco,
    Not sure I like this culture of using the word "hate" to describe people who have opposing viewpoints, but lets not get distracted here.

I am sure that you use your ski in a sensible and courteous manner unlike your associates at the ramp. one thing that you need to understand though is that jet ski riders as a group and motorcycle riders for that matter, have no one to blame for the perception of them but themselves.

Other water users certainly don't make them behave in that manner. My sincere hope is that a lesson will be learned from this senseless waste of life - but the realist in me knows it won't change a thing.

I am out on the water a lot and I can confidently say that there are more people on skis who need a slap up the side of the head with a snapper, than not.

By the way - I didn't say that 90% of you deserve the critism - but that 90% of the critism was deserved.

Mark

Something I don't quite grasp here, "we" are all assuming the Jetski was at fault? Regardless of what happened or how, a life is lost, end of story.

Hi Noelm,
    Andy H posted a link with a newspaper article.
    "IF" both operators were skylarking, driver of the other boat could be up for all sorts of possible charges as well.

when i had my jetski, i came into more sticky situations due to the " im cashed up so ill buy a big fancy boat even though i have no idea" people who cant remember what side to give way to etc etc. or boaties thinking they are bigger so stuff the little guy. im into both boats and skis im in both regularly. very similar to bikes v cars. yes alot of young jetskiers need more common sense, but a hell of a lot of boaties do too. The problem with the broadwater and its rivers is it is so compacted with boats and jetskis that a collision is eventually going to happen unless everyone travels at 6 knots, or eventually they will run up a sandbank too. I spend most of my time in Moreton Bay now and yes the open space is so much easier. Although trolling on friday for mackeral, we had a guy almost new looking trailcraft come flying at us head on, ( us doing 5 knots, him who knows how fast) he veered left, then right like he had no idea what to do, and came about 30m from us and just missed our lines. ( this is the Bay, not exactly a tight squeeze to travel. so cant just blame one and not the other and shit does happen. Anything in this world can be dangerous if you dont do it properly, from cleaning your gutters to drag racing.