Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New ford ranger XLT

Re: New ford ranger XLT

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    GBC... that's all good but I didn't buy my Hilux to drag race... Its not about who gets there the fastest or even the most comfortable......Its who gets there!!

The only debate I'm having here is the bottom line reliability of the Hilux..... you guys have me on everything else..... but Crossing the Simpson on my own there's not another vehicle in the same class I would have been comfortable in doing that in....

i have to agree for cruising through the simpson on your own a hilux would be more reliable however the new 3.2lt from ford i believe to be a great engine ford haven't had too many engines that have been a bad decision... Take the 250 crossflow 1970's model and hasn't been changed till this year granted fuel injection etc has been added but still the same block must be something in their engineering

You say you have had a good 5 years out of the Colorado...How many K's on the clock now? and has it seen much serious offroad?

For a Dualcab to run around the city and drop the kids at school I wouldn't even consider a Hilux...
    305000km from an au falcon did
    2 return trips to darwin
    3 trips to dubbo nsw
    18 trips or so to rockhampton
    1 trip to port macquarie
    we have hilux's at work by the dozen load and up until the PX ranger i wouldn't have had anything else

Are your springs stock standard basher? A mate of mine bought a hilux and after 3 months had to replace the rear springs and all he had in it was a 400kg toolbox (if that). He hadn't even had it off-road.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

is that a tow rope in the last pick? if so then No my car never had to be towed. if its not carry on...

Lovey... No mate it has after market suspension.... I wouldn't do any serious offroad with any manufacturers stock suspension.... Wouldn't last 5 mins!....

Lucee.... No mate its a blade of grass!! Haha! In light of this thread I wouldn't post a pic of it being towed!!:-)

What else have you done to it Snappa ?

2 inch lift, arb front and rear lockers, chipped???

2"lift yeah but no lockers or chip..... No other running gear or engine mods..... All stock....

if i put a 2" lift on mine i would be back at the garage issue... would fit in garage just couldn't get it into garage.

Mate I have had my Ranger for over a year now and I have nothing but praise for it , my caravan weighs 3.5 tonne and the boat is just a bit over 3 tonne, towed the caravan to Sydney and regularly tow the boat to Harvey bay and 1770 without a single issue. Still own a v8 land cruiser and for towing purposes the Ranger shits all over it.
    For the previous 20 years all I had ever owned are Toyotas and I hated Fords, how things have changed.

I jump on into the ranger debate.

2009 pk ranger wildtrack is my "offroad" play toy and tow vehicle. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384198620.821558.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384198635.731053.jpg

With stock suspension and no engine work this vehicle managed to convince a devoted cruiser and hilux owner to buy into a new Mazda BT-50. His toyotas were nothing short of lemons for him. From oil burning issues and egr sensors in the v8 cruiser to CV's clutches and rear suspension issues in the lux.

We would often head to a offroad track for a bog session and the stock ranger would walk out of situations the hilux would not. I would not hesitate to buy a new ranger if I needed to upgrade from the wildtrak. I came very close to buying a PX when they first came out but the wildtrak came up as an ex notated lease, 40,000km highway vehicle in perfect standard condition for 1/2 the price.

But with only 60,000kms on the clock now I doubt I will wear it out anytime soon. So when all you overrated hilux owners get your head out of the sand and stop playing the reliability card. I dare you to test drive a few of the new breed of dual cab utes on the market.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

And so it should its 2013......the other car manufacturers should be able to produce a vehicle that can tow a boat or caravan on bitumen without issues..... My argument is that my hilux is 8 years old and has close to 300000ks on it with more than half of that on outback roads with the shit shaken out of it on corrugations, water over the bonnet, dust, mud, and all the other things that outback driving can throw at you and have not had one issue aside from
    Wheel bearings....and it still drives like new.... Will the competition stand up to that punishment?? Guess we are yet to see..??

If you are not looking at doing that sort of driving or remote area travel on outback roads then nearly any of the competition are going to do the job and do it well.....

And I will admit that I considered a ranger for my next car but for not much more I could get a Hilux..... Tried and proven and that few grand less would be quickly eaten up should I need to be recovered from the middle of the Simpson!!

New ford ranger XLT

If your happy with old tech cars then the hilux is for you. Chalk and cheese to drive. I really hope Toyota step up to the plate for the next gen hilux they have been left in the dirt for now if you look at the gen utes subjectively.

V6 TD with 6 speed auto would be nice but needs to get a much better tow capacity than current.

One thing that shits me in the PX ranger is the lack of a 2DIN Headunit and std reverse camera - not sure wtf they were thinking there but plenty of aftermarket options now. As GBC mentioned the 3.2 engine is magic and pulls like a train. This is my first ford after only tojos and could not be happier after 42 thou in 12 months with zero issues.

I think you'll find the hilux is the cheap hooker now snappa but maybe not if you tried to spec up with all the std options the ranger xlt does.

What options are we talking about Greg?....is this just Bling?

Im not going to deny I have my head up my arse when it comes to Toyota and I am Biased as I said in an earlier post.... however I have put mine through the paces and it has performed all but faultlessly....I couldn't bring myself to tempt fate with a different manufacturer.....

When your half way across the gunbarrel and haven't seen another vehicle for 3 days......I like having the confidence of being in a vehicle I know and trust can do the job.....

Hey snappa mate. You just said your hilux is 8 years old and 8 years ago I would have gone a hilux above all else this year hilux has been left behind which is unfortunate as they do make a great car. The sr5 is about $48k at the moment and the xlt is above that. The xls with tow pack side steps and bull bar is about $45k. I think the xls is more in the line of the sr5 hilux.

Ok...

But can you help me understand where they have been left behind? Is it stuff that really matters or just bling?I had a quick look online at the standard features of the new Ranger and cant find anything that really matters to me or would make me more confident in doing the trips I do....

I don't want all the fancy electronic gear.....not when your bonnet deep in water and dust......

I am all ears though...

As far as the price difference goes I dont think it really matters as you will recover it when its time to sell.....you're only talking a few grand...