Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New ford ranger XLT

Re: New ford ranger XLT

Shoulda bought a BT50.

Modify your garage if you really really want a bull bar.

Modifying garage would be too expensive. Have hot water gas burner on back wall.
    Thought about the dmax but wanted a mans car.

seeing as the thread's wandering a bit anyhow...

Does anyone know what the noise is that comes from the front end when a Ranger XLT is in deep soft sand? Scared the crap out of me first time I heard it. Now I'm used to it.

I think it's the front diff throwing sand against something. Sounds like a bad mechanical vibration, but car returns to normal as soon as you're out of the deep stuff.

It happens regardless of whether power is being put thru the drive train or not, so I don't believe it's mechanical. It's happened on a few beach trips, only in deep soft stuff.

No complaints with the XLT, just wondering if anyone knows?

Hold the traction control button in for a few seconds so it turns off in really soft sand. Thats what your noise is - system is working fine but better to switch off in soft sand more so it doesnt limit engine power as well. OR it may be a crap ARB bull bar install if you have one fitted. If they dont relief some of bash plates it makes a hell of a noise over bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by skipak View Post
    seeing as the thread's wandering a bit anyhow...

Does anyone know what the noise is that comes from the front end when a Ranger XLT is in deep soft sand? Scared the crap out of me first time I heard it. Now I'm used to it.

I think it's the front diff throwing sand against something. Sounds like a bad mechanical vibration, but car returns to normal as soon as you're out of the deep stuff.

It happens regardless of whether power is being put thru the drive train or not, so I don't believe it's mechanical. It's happened on a few beach trips, only in deep soft stuff.

No complaints with the XLT, just wondering if anyone knows?
    How does it preform off road. Haven't had a chance as I only collected mine on Wednesday and am at work for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    Hold the traction control button in for a few seconds so it turns off in really soft sand. Thats what your noise is - system is working fine but better to switch off in soft sand more so it doesnt limit engine power as well. OR it may be a crap ARB bull bar install if you have one fitted. If they dont relief some of bash plates it makes a hell of a noise over bumps.

Thanks heaps mate - I'll do that from now on. That explains a few things re power too.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    How does it preform off road. Haven't had a chance as I only collected mine on Wednesday and am at work for 3 weeks.
    Haven't used it off road apart from beach trips. But I'm sure it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Modifying garage would be too expensive. Have hot water gas burner on back wall.
    Thought about the dmax but wanted a mans car.
    If you wanted a Mans car you should have got a Hilux!!!cape trip1 357.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    If you wanted a Mans car you should have got a Hilux!!!cape trip1 357.jpg
    While I did consider the hilux in recent years Toyota is running of it's name and doesn't offer anything new to the hilux. The sr5 is cheaper than the ranger xlt but by the time you kit it out with what the ranger offers it's no longer cheaper.

Tend to agree as far as what options you get as standard and so on..... However I still think they are a class above for offroad anyways....

Mine now has just short of 300000k's on it and done the Simpson desert and the cape with no issues other than wheel bearings on the cape trip....

I am biased towards Toyota though so don't listen too me 😊

They are the Yamaha of the car world...... Oops did I say that out aloud!

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Tend to agree as far as what options you get as standard and so on..... However I still think they are a class above for offroad anyways....

Mine now has just short of 300000k's on it and done the Simpson desert and the cape with no issues other than wheel bearings on the cape trip....

I am biased towards Toyota though so don't listen too me 😊

They are the Yamaha of the car world...... Oops did I say that out aloud!
    i used to be biased to toyota until recently when they seemed to be getting left behind from the competition.

Hilux ROFL! As a former Toyota lover myself. There is no way I'd buy a hilux over the ranger, Holden Mazda or VW. Each one of them would tow the soft roading hilux backwards.

Toyota have been resting on their laurels in the dual cab department for a decade.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Each to their own lovey..... But depends what you are doing with it I guess.... I challenge any of the competitors to go through what mines been through with only a wheel bearing failure.... Not saying they won't but would like to see it..... One minute it's over the bonnet in water next up to the sills in dust then climbing out of palm creek :-)....saw quiet a few competitors up the cape and the desert in different states of disrepair.....

Bang for buck as far as mod cons/ features go the competitors have it over the hilux but for a tough offroad and comfortable day to day car Hilux all the way!!

After 5 excellent years with my Colorado, I would have not hesitated to go for a Dmax. We ended up with a couple of rangers (xl 3.2 autos) which are very nice to drive, but suffer from stupid tow bars, retarded electrics and an inability to carry anything much more than a briefcase. The suspension is being sorted soon and I'll probably get a different towbar when one comes up. Mine's also got an ARB bullbar which brings the ute to somewhere in the vicinity of 6 metres long. That combined with the average turning circle means a ranger is more 'berthed' rather than parked - keep well clear in shopping centres.
    I had a drag with a hilux owner on the weekend. Should have seen the look on his face when he got owned by a ranger towing a camper trailer.....that engine makes up for a lot of sins.
    I've had cruisers and hilux's - it'd take something pretty damn special to get me back into one.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

GBC... that's all good but I didn't buy my Hilux to drag race... Its not about who gets there the fastest or even the most comfortable......Its who gets there!!

The only debate I'm having here is the bottom line reliability of the Hilux..... you guys have me on everything else..... but Crossing the Simpson on my own there's not another vehicle in the same class I would have been comfortable in doing that in....

You say you have had a good 5 years out of the Colorado...How many K's on the clock now? and has it seen much serious offroad?

For a Dualcab to run around the city and drop the kids at school I wouldn't even consider a Hilux...