Thread: How to fill a gap in the dash

How to fill a gap in the dash

Hi all

I am pulling an old 27 Mhz Radio out of the dash on the boat and consequentlynthere will be a big ugly hole in the dash.

Any ideas of how to fill the hole? I was thinking of some dense plastic cut out of a cutting board for example and using that.

Just looking to see if anyone else has any ideas

Thanks

Blair

Re: How to fill a gap in the dash

Post a photo and some specific ideas will be forthcoming!

Will do when I pull it out hole is 135mm x 50mm

Have a look on whitworths, bias and bla websites - they sell a little moulded lockable glovebox that might be just about right. good for keys, phones etc. If you have to enlarge the hole slightly - is that an issue?

Mark

I have a dash mounted sounder that's rooted and I was thinking maybe cover the hole with a piece of polished stainless. Keen for other ideas.
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Get a peice of clear Perspex, cut it to shape so it overlaps the hole, sand and paint one side the color of your dash or as close to it as you can get. Then sikaflex and or screw it to your dash with the painted side down and the nice glossy side up.

If you have the room put a stereo in if you don't have one already or just use an old one to fill it or use any of the facias that fill a standard din size slot. I think 180x50mm. Lots of older base model cars had little angled trays or just neat plastic covers where the top model had the tape player. Depending on the angle of your dash the lockable bias ones states above are great and eBay has lots of trays/pockets, double cup holder etc single din units pretty cheap.

like this -
    $(KGrHqN,!lME3Hy8nbv4BN33hCZcRQ~~_35.JPG
    !C!Q5H7gCGk~$(KGrHqMOKkMEzJ3QHtSlBNCQbNO5,w~~_35.JPG

blanking plate -
    mmjUAvGGuuxWAEk7VwufagA.jpg
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Good idea!

A cup holder won't really work as it is down in front of the seat so would be in the way whilst at the helm

Would Sikaflex hold ok? Or are you better screwing it in?

BV