Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total new kit

Total new kit

I have a 2008 Boston Whaler 285 Conquest fitted out with two Navman 8084 screens, radar and GPS. I also have a Vesselview screen for the twin 225 Verados. The Vesselview isn't linked to the Navman gear and so I'm unable to take advantage of the Navman engine performance optimization stuff. The dash area is about 800W by 450H.

I want to upgrade to get a better sounder performance (unsure about CHIRP), have my engine information connected to an intelligent system which will allow me to optimize performance (ie fuel consumption), retain or replace the GPS and radar and have the option for installation of an autopilot.

I've looked hard at twin Simrad NSS12 screens with the CHIRP module and associated Simrad gear but then started digging into Furuno gear . A salesman tells me that Simrad is good for shallow water and Furuno for broader use. I have a Furuno on my tinnie and it performs terrifically (notably better than the Navman gear on the Whaler) so I have some confidence in that gear, however I suspect that it comes at a premium over Simrad, especially at the moment when Simrad have some good deals going.

I fish out of Shorncliffe chasing marlin and tuna off Moreton and snapper and pearlies off Moreton/Caloundra mainly in 50m to 150m.

I need some help on the selection of a system - any thoughts on the merits and selection of a system?

Re: Total new kit

do you plan on running just one screen. or twin units. what kind of waters are you fishing. is high frequency sonar in your future "side/down imaging" any idea of a budget?
    questions questiosn QUESTIONS!! .
    OH way to much caffeine :S

Moose, layoff the juice..

whaler,
    You need to decide on what type of integration you want, while several brands are very good at handling information such as navigation etc, they may not necessarily provide the best picture of what is happening under your boat, on the flip side of the coin some units handle the sounding very well, leave a whole lot to be desired in the integration stakes.

you need to determine what you want from your electronics and start from there.

Regards
    Honda.

Okay here's a shot at the details that I have in mind. This was a bit of a challenge because I want to leave the spec broad enough to get a couple of options:

Budget - $15k +/-

Use - I chase marlin and tuna off Moreton in 50m to 200m and snapper and pearlies off Moreton/Caloundra mainly in 50m to 150m

Overall config - Twin 12” screens; Preferably integrated;Preferably touch screen; Flush mount (max 800W x 450H), Glare resistant;waterproof for open cockpit mount; interface to the Verados to replace theVesselview and show engine data on screen; tide/barometric pressure/time and soon displays; configurable for split screen and screen customization; videoinput optional.

Sonar – Broadband; CHIRP is optional but if not CHIRPthen the unit should be upgradeable to CHIRP; Inhull transducer is preferable(temperature input can be from transom mount sensor); 3D (eg structurescan)optional; performance of the sonar is the most important element of theupgrade.

Transducer(s) – Inhull is preferred but not anabsolute; If inhull only then temperature can come from a transom mount sensor;the new Airmar high frequency wide beam optional; power output as necessary forclear 0 – 300m performance; I like the ability on the Simrad to link the sonar historyto the GPS to enable you to back track (preferable but optional); top quality bottomresolution of seabed and fish important.

GPS/plotter – Ability to download way points to a computer;Radar overlay; Enough memory to keep a day’s trail; Temperature graph withoptional overlay onto GPS trail to enable me to trace back to a thermocline.

Radar – 25-30nM is enough

Autopilot - Optional. Operable from screen (no roomfor another screen).

Some of the new Lowrance kit will allow you to build detailed charts based on your sounder logs, might be worth consideration.

I fancy the garmin autopilot set up, I like their override feature.

If radar is only for collision avoidance and weather, a small array is fine, but if target separation is the goal and you have the room to fit, go large.

A black box sounder module rather than integrated into the displays, and consider a 2kw transducer. Preferably something you can select the frequencies to avoid interference from nearby craft.

You will need to research the mfd screens, with what you are looking to do, you might find the ability to display multiple panes a good option.

You might also consider a compact instrument display 4" square like the garmin gmi10, they are a straight tap into the NMEA backbone and take up minimal real estate.

I have spent more than a few hours researching and dreaming. My budget is much smaller, but have similar goals.

In hull transducers are neat and convenient, but not as effective as thru hull, and only work thru frp. 2kw transducers are large.

Anyway, that will give you stuff to think about.

so two good garmin ideas
    2x 8012 12" MFD with pinch to zoom and.. well everything.
    1x gsd26 sonar module "chirp capable"
    1x b175h bronze thru hull with temp 1kw
    1x 18" radar
    all up under 15k

Why not pocket mount your tranny so you can have temp/ chirp etc in one? And your tranny will perform much better. Might blow your budget out a touch to get it done properly, but do it right and do it once.

save a few bucks going with 1x 12" and 1 x 7"
    or 2x 7012 screens
    shoot us an email if you ever want some prices

What is pocket mount?...through hull?

2x simrad nss12
    +bsm2 sonar module
    +b265lh chirp transducer thru hull
    +4g radar
    +aus gold card
    +nmea starter kit
    +ethernet
    +lss2 structure scan kit
    for less than 12800

Thanks Moose. Some quick pricing on one off buys puts the two 8012's at $5552ea, the gsd26 at $2070 and the b175h at $1270 which is about $14.5k. New radar would be about $2k but I may be able to reuse the Navman one. Replacing one of the 8012s with a 7012 would save about $1300. That's all on the ball park. What's your thoughts on the performance of the gsd26 sonar vs the Furuno and Simrad units?

What's the rough extra on the Simrad option for their autopilot?

A salesman commented to me recently that Simrad is good for shallow water (don't know what shallow means in that context) and Furuno for deep. I'm fishing 50m to 200m - any comment?

Put simply, pocket mounting is when they cut a hole in the boat, make up a box to accommodate the tranny and fit the transducer into that box. The face of the tranny makes up part of the strake of the boat and the transducer face is in the water with nothing to impede performance. You'll need to (well you should anyway) consult a shipwright or boat builder to do the job imho. I did it with my chirp for my simrad and it works great. On the bright side, your pocket mount tranny will be cheaper because it doesn't come with a box, so that in a small way subsidises your install costs.

I like that idea - thanks. Are you happy with the Simrad?

There was a couple of initial problems that were not of simrads doing, it was an airmar.problem, but once it was sorted, yes I'm very happy with it