Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper reaches of the brissy river

Blog Entries

Upper reaches of the brissy river

Fished the upper reaches Sat morning , managed 8 bass between 2 of us ranging from 36 up to 45 cm . Great morning out other than 1 mobile phone lost overboard .

Re: Upper reaches of the brissy river

I guess the tide was out???

Good one Griner, I've been fishing below Wivenhoe a bit lately, certainly got a lot tougher there over the past month. Bugger about the phone.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

Blog Entries

Ye your right ,I would normally fish from Wivenhoe down to Lowood , but on recent trips the fishing has been tough compared with last season . The last 2 trips have been a little more productive ( fishing further down stream ) . Notice there are a lot more people fishing the area in general compared to years gone by , just hope that the majority are practicing catch & release to ensure fish numbers are not adversely affected .

Fishing in the upstream stretch from Colleges, I had a really good September but then it switched off. I am now lucky to get even one bass of any size.

Blog Entries

Maybe the rain this week will fire them up ?

I was thinking that the "works" at Mount Crosby was restricting the water flow and hence the dam was not letting much water out.

Tide is looking good right now so I will try today or tomorrow while there are storms about

Blog Entries

Let us know how you get on !

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I was down at colleges just past the park area on the left there, was collecting some bait for the tank at home but a guy came down and he managed 3 bass I think, said 2 were about 40 I think and then he got a smaller one just near me, that was all in about an hour.

Hi Guys, I tried yesterday(Friday) and worked the incoming tide from 8.30 until 13.30. Not a lot of action for me but I got two bass on spinner baits. I saw others catching bass on hard-bodies, so I switched to a Boomerang and caught four more.

All six were just legal but realistically too small to take home for a feed.

I was chatting to a guy who, a few minutes before we met, caught a 40 cms bass(approx). He showed me a photo and it was just half a fish! Just as it neared his kayak a shark(about one meter long) came up and bit it in half!

A couple of weeks ago somebody else told me that he had a catfish chomped in a similar fashion.

Might change my tackle and try for the sharks. I think I know why the bass are hiding

Blog Entries

I will stick to the water above MT Crosby........Sharks & Kayak / canoe scares me !!!!!!!

Chicken They don't seem to bother the kids swimming down from the scout hut. oblivious as to what is actually in the water

A mate took me fishing in that upper section down from Wivenhoe a couple of years back and it was great. I'd never caught a bass before and we needed up with 10 in a few hours plus a 45 cm Yellowbelly. I had a ball.

A weekend of 2 halves for sure! Fished saturday up stream of Fernvale for bugger all then fished further down river sunday morning for an absolute cracker session. Bagged 20 bass between 2 yaks with the smallest fish measuring 35cm to the fork, biggest 48cm.
    A brilliant morning with many fish coming from the same snag's.
    There's a monster hiding in particular snag that we will return for very soon as he has my mates spinner bait in his possesion. In all we lost 2 spinner baits and one hard body to the hard fighting fish.
    An epic morning and one that I will look to relive very soon!
    All fish released for the rest of you to hook in due course, what a day!!

Blog Entries

Sounds like Sunday was a memorable day out . Have fished the area upstream from Twin Bridges to lowood in the past but never really caught a great deal in that stretch of the water either,other the the pools right up the Lowood end .