Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to tie a deep diver HB lure for trolling...?

Re: How to tie a deep diver HB lure for trolling...?

1. Nothing hilarious about that. Get back to work.
    2. You are supposed to be living the dream in a few hours and we will be checking.
    3. Good Evening.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post
    Ok, there is a lot of good info & advice in the above posts. Thank you all for responding.

So it would seem that wire is the important factor due to getting bitten off, if I am understanding this correctly.

It would be very handy to do a quick workshop with someone in the Redlands that can take the time to show me in person....if anyone is available ?

Thanks again, Ray.
    hey mate. I personally wouldn't use wire of any sort in the bay particularly when trolling and using a 6 inch lure. You may get a few bite offs from mackerel but you will get many more strikes and fish when using mono. Keep it simple. The small Mackies in the bay see a lot of lures and baits so it pays to keep your presentations stealthy.

Hi,

1’ of 140lb single strand copper wire, the thicker stuff doesn't kink as easily. Get yourself an ezy rig I think they are called, hang on I'll find a link

They make haywire twists super fast and neat so you can rig up a heap of traces in no time. The wire doesn't put the fish off as much as people think, people in the Torres Strait use trolling lines with the biggest single strand copper wire I've ever seen and they clean up. You don't need any more than a foot if you keep constant pressure on the fish, macks usually run out to the sides when hooked.

For speeds for lures, slow is my preferred, 4 knots is plenty as I'm usually running some gar too, if you run a gar or two and an xrap30 you are covering plenty of the water column, BUT if arriving at the grounds and searching for bait then 6 knots is better with lures only to prevent baits spinning, a headstart trolling rig from the downriggershop will stop baits spinning and is super fast rigging for gar, best action I've ever seen from a swimming gar as the flexible bead chain thingy is inside the gar allowing it to swim. They make a surface version too, swims very nicely too.

Xrap30 is my prefered lure at the moment, out fishes halco crazy deeps, haven't tried the sebiles yet, rumour is the new Berkeley Mack lure comes out early next year and will be very good. I'm just starting to fish pusher style lures at 6 knots plus, will post some reports sometime about them.

Happy hunting.

Here's an article i wrote years ago, most of it i still agree with, there's four parts to it if you're bored, cheers.

http://www.fishingtownsville.net/201...part-1-of.html

[URL="[URL="http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/348233-du-bro-haywire-twist-tool-demo-video.html#b"[/URL]"]