Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Summer mackeral bash

Re: Summer mackeral bash

I bloody hope so !

forecast is looking better for Saturday

I am so sad that after talking to Nslfishing on the last night about the mackerel bash, I was up till 11:00pm last night changing split rings, hooks and making up assist hook rigs.

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    I am so sad that after talking to Nslfishing on the last night about the mackerel bash, I was up till 11:00pm last night changing split rings, hooks and making up assist hook rigs.

Ben.
    Ben,

Would you care to elaborate on what you did and why ...

Steve

Changed the OEM rings over to stainless hyperwire rings and changed most of the trebles to singles. The few I did keeps trebles on (because I ran out of singles) I changed to Owner or Gamakatsu 1/0. The OEM rings and hooks on most lures are junk - I'd hate to loose the fish of a lifetime to inferior terminal tackle - especially being my first mackerel session! I also made up some assist hook rigs with 70lb and 200lb Dyneema cord.

I'll take some pics and post them tonight.

Ben.

On the 'why', I have been doing a lot of reading and there is a massive shift to using singles instead of trebles. It gives the fish less leverage and a single can penetrate better, so you lose less fish.

It is also much better for the fish as they generally get hooked in the corner of the mouth and a single doesn't tear the fish up like a treble does.

Ben.

What hooks did you use Ben?

Guys

My plan is to head out early to Hutchinsson shoal then head back to mackerel around 830am to meet the fleet o boats. I should be at at the ramp around 330am. Bag out and head to hungry a at say 2pm or so.

Hungry, can you pm ur address.

I will be on 21vhf

On my metals and jigs I used Mustad Live Bait in 4/0 - I buy whatever is on special out of Mustad, Owner, Gamakatsu or Eagle Claw. In that heavy gauge wire, they are all much of a muchness. The ones that I left with trebles I changed to Gama or Owner ST66 in 1/0.

On my Yo-zuri Hydro Magnums (120 & 140mm) I used Mustad Live Bait in 8/0.

For my assist hook rigs I used 70lb Dyneema cord with Gama Live Bait in 1/0 and 200lb Dyneema cord with Gama Octopus in 4/0. The Octopus hooks are a much lighter wire than the Live Bait, but are longer in the shank which allowed me to put some glow-in-the-dark squid skirts on them. Gamakatsu make very strong hooks, so I am keen to see how they hold up on an assist rig of this size.

Split and solid rings used are ODZ stainless hyperwire. I get them as split and solid combos in 20 packs for $7 and break them out so I don't have to buy splits and solids separately. They call the sizes S, M and L. S looks to be #4 and is rated to 84lb. M looks like #5 and rated to 143lb. I think L is around 200lb and likely a #6. I had a pack of S and a pack of M and used the lot. I would only order M and L from now on given the size of the S.

I also use the Decoy GP rings to attach the leader to the split. These are freakin' tiny but unbelievably strong - I'm talking a 4mm ring rated at 300lb and a 6mm ring rated at 500lb! I had ordered them in #3 but they and they are almost too small - I thought they would be bigger based on the weight rating. I will order #5 next time. I'm out of split rings after last nights efforts anyway, so I will be doing another order soon.

I'll put pics up tonight.

Ben.

One thing I did learn was I need a much better set of split ring pliers. I have a pair of braid scissors with a split ring opener on the end - works great on little split rings on lure you would use for whiting or bream. Made what I was doing a chore and probably is the reason I finished at 11pm instead of 9:30pm.

The Texas Tackle ones get good feedback, so I am going to order all three sizes

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Texas...page-TTEP.html

Ben

Perhaps you are over thinking Mackerel fishing. I am yet to see one straighten a standard set of trebles and if you saw the size of the hook I use on my livebait rigs. I find Macs pretty easy on gear. Tuna, Billies and GTs are a whole different kettle of fish
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

What's the general opinion of a snap lock swivel onto the lure? Are they shy of that sort of thing. Just thinking of being able to change lures quickly ( or lazily rather heehee)
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Maybe I am horse. First time out and am just trying to improve my handicap, which I tell people is just turning up. Never know what you are going to hook up to...

Comparing hook sizes, the Mustad Live Bait 4/0 is about the same size as a Gama 5/0. Mustad 4/0 on the metals and Mustad 8/0 on the hard bodies.

Here are the pics as promised:

I put the assist rigs on my 'Made my own assist hooks' thread - post #14:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=1#post1526454

Ben.

Jesus Christ fellas, They're just a pelagic, mostlyaround 10kgs marks, They're not 200kgs of beak or 50kgs of YFT. But saying thatI have snagged a few epic longtails over the years doing the exact thing.

OK,
    Here it is people, final roll call for this Sunday. It is definitely on unless a CAT3 cyclone hit.
    My boat is washed fuel and waiting.

For this Sunday.
    6.00 AM my place sharp, if you want to meet and chin wag before we head out.
    7.00 AM Toorbul Boat ramp"The Esplanade Toorbul" for the others . It's a double ramp with plenty of safeparking.

Everyone then can launch and set of to their mackerel "hotpots" Iwill be concentrating on the northern bay and shipping channel to Caloundra, via the bottom of Bribie.
    I will be doing a scout on Sat. morning, and hopefully advise everyone on the latest.
    I'm happy for people to tag along, and I will troll the shipping channel, hit a few beacons and shallow reef. If you don't carry lots off fuel, don't follow me everywhere, I have no comprehension of fuel usage as I have 400L+ onboard.

Radio as usual 21 and I will try and find a quiet channel tomorrow (will update this post)for update of possible activities during morning

Back at ramp between 13.30-14.00
    BBQ at 14.30-15.00

Every one please bring your favourite beverage. I will provide some, food and other refreshments.

On the day hopefully every on get a few macks, I will probably "donut" and rely on other species.
    Those that want to meet at my place, please PM me.

Cheers

Wayne.

Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Guys

My plan is to head out early to Hutchinsson shoal then head back to mackerel around 830am to meet the fleet o boats. I should be at at the ramp around 330am. Bag out and head to hungry a at say 2pm or so.

Hungry, can you pm ur address.

I will be on 21vhf
    Bugger.

i'm heading out Saturday to Hutchies, but will still make it on Sunday for the bash. Just beacon bashing that day unless I hi the jackpot.