Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can bite through a hook?

What can bite through a hook?

Mate hooks up to something that puts on a couple of very strong runs at Hutchies....then the dreaded slack line, when he pulled up the hook was bitten? clean in half about mid-way up the shank. It was a brand new 7/0 mustard saltwater hook....they seem pretty strong so what could bite clean through a hook? We did see a few hammerheads cruising around....

Re: What can bite through a hook?

I had a Wahoo grabed by a 4m Tiger shark in Vanuatu years ago ( Ididnt see it but the guys from the bridge called it).
    This thing ran off 400-500m of 24kg straight down and broke me off before I could get into the harness.
    So after an eternity winding the line back on I come up with a stainless 14/0 hook bitten clean in half- still have the hook.

It amazed me the power those things must have in their jaws. So in answer to your question a good size shark has the ability to go through a 7/0 hook with ease. Of coarse how the hook is lodged in the jaws etc. would play a big part. I think mine and probably your mates experience was a fairly unusual set of circumstances as I dont think it happens often.

Yep big green deep sea toadfish will do it........
    Cheers Axl

Fishing for Cod one night off the Bribie Ledge with a sandcrab tied to the 8/0 Mustard Hook.
    Decent bite, got it to the side of the boat, great big sea toad, hook bitten clean in two.
    I too had the shank of that hook in a tackle box for years.

The power in those jaws is something to see.

It is quite amazing how a fish well hooked can disgorge hooks seemingly at will.

My wife and I fish regularly off Bribie and recently watched a big flathead which had bitten the line off and fortunately fell into the fishbox, spit out a gang of hooks from well down his throat.

I am sure the fish was very well hooked but seemed to be able to just simply spit the hooks clean out.

Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Have fun Haji-Baba

You have never met my mother in law ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    You have never met my mother in law ?

I have..................she's hot!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Say what that's uncle bob ?

There is a couple of quite common fish that can bite through a hook, those big green toads as mentioned, and those crappy Chinaman Leatherjackets can also snip a hook clean off with ease.

Was thinking perhaps XOS parrot or tuskie. The runs were solid but short bursts, thinking a shark would have screemed off and a toadie wouldn't have much pull? Oh well, can only guess....

Those big Toads can pull a bit. The big Leatherjackets pull very hard
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I had a Mustad 6/0 bitten through off Adelaide years ago, I don't particularly want to know what bit it

I lost a burly bucket to a big toad it bit through telecom rope with no resistance so dont put your finger near them

surely while toadfish and leatherjackets could easily do this it.. they dont really have the power to put on a few "very strong runs" im gunno go with a fault with the hook or a shark.. if it was a big one (shark)there would be no mistaking it for a toad or jacket...
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I caught and have the photo of a 65cm toady. I have caught some big ones before but this was the largest. I was amazed at how he never bit the hook through. I thought it was a jewy whaaaaaaa!