Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can bite through a hook?

Re: What can bite through a hook?

I have Hooked some big Snapper in the past that have bitten through my hooks before.
    Certainly have not used the red black magic chemically sharpened hooks ever since the last one I lost after a big Snapper bit the hook in half

Re: What can bite through a hook?

Im going with shark, but Id say it was broke by excess load, not bitten thru.

I had a hook broke in half at River Heads last summer, in the same spot where I get a lotta bull sharks. The hook has to be lodged exactly in the right spot for it to happen.

For a few months, Id assumed the hook was bitten thru. Then I did some research, and found out that Japanese hooks like Owner and Gamma are DESIGNED to break under excess load. I had recently changed from 30lb to 80lb braid, and now the 5/0 Owner hook had become the weakest link in my chain. My drag was also too tight in hindsight. American hooks like Eagle Claw are designed to bend. Im not sure about Mustad tho? They are now made in Brazil or Portugal.

You didnt just upgrade something in your tackle gear did you? What sort of line and reel were you using?

cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by the gecko; 07-11-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.