Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your catch measure up?

Does your catch measure up?

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

4 November 2013
    Does your catch measure up?

While fishers love to tell tales about the size of the ones that got away, it is important they make sure the ones they keep are measured accurately to ensure they comply with Queensland size limits.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Graeme Broughall said recently there had been an increase in the number of fishers measuring their catch incorrectly.

“The correct way to measure a fin fish is lying on their side and measuring from the tip of their snout to the end of their tail,” Mr Broughall said.

“The fish should not be manipulated in any way when measuring. For example, fishers shouldn’t pinch the tail together to lengthen a fish’s overall length.

“A sturdy ruler or coil tape measure with an end stop on it is the most accurate tool for measuring fish. By having an end stop, it means the fish can be put against the edge for accuracy.

“Measuring devices which are adhesive or flexible should only be used as a guide. Stick-on rulers and similar devices sometimes shrink when exposed to the weather so are unreliable and could give an incorrect measurement.

“If a fisher catches an undersize or unwanted fish they should return it to the water immediately taking as much care as possible to avoid causing the fish any injury.”

Mr Broughall said mud crabs were measured from point-to-point across the widest part of the shell and must be a minimum size of 15cm.

Blue swimmer crabs are measured from the notch immediately forward of the base of the largest lateral spine and this notch-to-notch measurement must be a minimum of 11.5cm.

“The easiest and most accurate way to measure a crab is with a crab gauge which can be found at bait and tackle shops,” Mr Broughall said.

“Recreational fishers should also remember that female mud and blue swimmer crabs are protected in Queensland.”

For more information on size and possession limits in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

FishMeasuringBoard-lindr.gif

CrabMeasurement-lindr-350.jpg
    Last edited by Fisheries Queensland; 04-11-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added images

Re: Does your catch measure up?

Add to that is not to get caught with fillets on board. At Mooloolaba all the cleaning tables are on the KAWANA side but fisheries officers love to check catches on the Mooloolaba side. I was let off with an "official" warning only because the size of my fillets were over the MLS after stopping at the kawana cleaning tables, filleting the fish, then heading to the Mooloolaba side to retrieve the boat.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I know this sounds weird but by not manipulating the tail you end up getting large variations in what a fish might measure on the device on consecutive measures. What might measure legal for the angler may well measure illegal when fisheries measure. Obviously easiest way to avoid large variations is to not keep any marginal fish anyway. This is the first time fisheries have recognised the issue of manipulation as it was common place in the charter industry as standard. I have commented on this Subject a few times on here. Must admit it's good fisheries have actually mentioned manipulation to try and remove some misconceptions but not allowing it has the potential to catch well intentioned anglers.

Lightbulb Re: Does your catch measure up?

Si , with proviso that it IS legal-size "when you catch it" (as per fisheries regs)

...IT'S LEGAL!!!....no if , buts or maybes.....LEGAL

I really don't care if it HAS minimally shrunk in an Esky...due to an ice slurry,etc.

If marginal?
    ( 2 me , that's just a pathetic putdown of the LEGAL-SIZE meaning...imo)

so what?? is the solution??

MAYBE just take a simple mobilephone photo when caught??....if MARGINAL

JMO ,and DO appreciate yours and I do abide by any & all Fisheries regs

This method by Texas Parks and wildlife would remove any doubt over total length. Would clear any confusion that currently exists on overall size. There can be up to 2 to 3 cm difference fron natural lay to tail pulled back or tail pulled forward. At least if regs state that tail is pulled forward there would be no confusion.

From Texas Parks and wildlife site

How to measure fish:

1. Place the fish on its side with the jaw closed.
    2. For soft-tailed fish, squeeze the tail fin together to obtain the maximum overall length.
    3. For hard-tailed fish, turn the tail to obtain maximum length.
    4. Measure a straight line from the tip of the snout to the extreme tip of the tail fin.
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

And true to Texan way, if you are under, don't be surprise if you're looking at the wrong end of a loaded Glock
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Or fisheries could make it easy on everyone and do a sweeping change of the MLS regs and change the measuring point from the tip of the mouth to the fork of the tail. That way the measurement is directly down the centerline and no ambiguity can exist on the overall measurable length of a fish. The Texan example would be a moot point and the whole need for this thread would be removed all together.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post
    This method by Texas Parks and wildlife would remove any doubt over total length. Would clear any confusion that currently exists on overall size. There can be up to 2 to 3 cm difference fron natural lay to tail pulled back or tail pulled forward. At least if regs state that tail is pulled forward there would be no confusion.

From Texas Parks and wildlife site

How to measure fish:

1. Place the fish on its side with the jaw closed.
    2. For soft-tailed fish, squeeze the tail fin together to obtain the maximum overall length.
    3. For hard-tailed fish, turn the tail to obtain maximum length.
    4. Measure a straight line from the tip of the snout to the extreme tip of the tail fin.
    This is exactly what I meant. its in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Add to that is not to get caught with fillets on board. At Mooloolaba all the cleaning tables are on the KAWANA side but fisheries officers love to check catches on the Mooloolaba side. I was let off with an "official" warning only because the size of my fillets were over the MLS after stopping at the kawana cleaning tables, filleting the fish, then heading to the Mooloolaba side to retrieve the boat.
    http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...fillet-removal
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I wouldn't keep a fish that's even close to being undersize, no chance of a infringement then.
    ~~~><))))*>

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“The fish should not be manipulated in any way when measuring. For example, fishers shouldn’t pinch the tail together to lengthen a fish’s overall length.

I disagree. No where in the regs does it say that the max size of the fish is how it is measured when just placed on its side. Just by moving the tail to its max length position is not manipulation. If you stretched it, yes that would be manipulation. Another wrong interpretation of the rules by our fun police. To demonstrate this, simply pick up the fish by the tip of the tail, which will now be fully extended, and measure back to the nose. No manipulation, but same result that the inspector called manipulation.

Also there is no law that says you can't fillet your fish on board....and you don't need to keep the frames either, just have the skin on the fillets. We have been through this before and had official agreement from he fisheries.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

I noticed that the official link as quoted also says the scales must stay on, as well as the skin. I mention this because I usually scale fish before I fillet them.

Thanks for this post. I have learned something.

Thumbs up Re: Does your catch measure up?

not really a problem.......just a "couple of attached-2-fillet scales & small section of skin" is fine M8.....to be above board with a zealous FO ,having a bad-day.

IF for some reason "testing" is required , scales & skin samples may be required for that "suspected" species/fillet

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKroll View Post
    I noticed that the official link as quoted also says the scales must stay on, as well as the skin. I mention this because I usually scale fish before I fillet them.

Thanks for this post. I have learned something.
    Thats only for "coral reef fin fish" scaling does not apply to "fin fish"...
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Thanks for the clarification. When rules become so highly qualified, everything becomes a nightmare.