great. where?

Re: map cards from overseas

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    great. where?
    Was actually from eBay Australia , but the card came from Canada

are they genuine or funky?

I bought one from a guy on Ebay in Canada and I asked all the questions in regard to if they were genuine, as i didn't want to stuff up my unit. He assured me that they were the genuine article, and that when Garmin do an update he somehow gets hold of them to sell on Ebay at a reduced price, as Garmin can't sell them once they have updated something, so therefore they are obsolete, but unless that updade affects you then they are fine...well that's what was spruiked to me anyway. So after reading the reviews on Ebay about all the happy customers i purchased the East Australia chip. I put it in the unit and it worked as in fired up, however after using it for a while in the shed checking it out by zooming in and out it jammed up the screen. Nothing on the unit touch screen would work, and i mean nothing, not even the power button. I had to turn the batteries off to turn the unit off. Pulled the chip out and the unit worked fine. He sent another chip to me however it did exactly the same thing.

yep.. sure sounds funky.

The guy i bought it off had a 100% feedback and lot's of customers in Australia who were happy with the same map, so all i can say for sure is that they didn't work for me.

I bought a garmin vision card last year on ebay for $79, i think it came from Lithuania.
    No issues yet.

I can buy all the Garmin gear overseas at wholesale if I wanted to and $99 for a Blue Chart is certainly possible.