Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Petition Banning All Commercial Fishing on Moreton Island

Re: Petition Banning All Commercial Fishing on Moreton Island

Hey Banana, would love to see some photos of the 6kg tailor. A fish of this size is a once in a lifetime creature nowadays. I would suspect for the weight quoted this fish would be pushing well over 80cm, possibly into the 90's.

In my experience with beach netters, there would be no point asking the pros where fish are biting, as the pros don't need them to bite when they're using square hooks. And if the pros know where the fish are, they certainly aren't going to share that info with anybody else if they haven't shot their nets already, and there is no point fishing an area after a net shot because it shuts right down, any body who has fished a beach with netters working nearby will have experienced this.

For the record, I'd be 100% in favour of a professional beach fishing industry that used line and hooks instead of nets for recreational viable targets such as the regular bread and butter species that are targeted at Moreton. The only problem then would be managing the mullet netters, which would not work with this theory.

Kev

Chris69, I keep hearing that a particular crew has been completely banned from fishing at Bribie. I don't know if this is true. Just so happens that it is the mob that is raking the hell out of Moreton. I think there are a couple of fishermen from Wynnum that gill net south of Tangalooma as well. The Principal Petitioners point is that the benefits of Tourism greatly outweigh the benefits of commercial fishing in this area. There is millions of dollars tied up in tourism on Moreton and it employs hundreds of people directly and thousands indirectly. How much do the fishermen make? Gone are the days when we used to get $5 per kilo for female mullet. Lucky to get $1.50. Males fetch $0.80. I would say that there might be a payout for those concerned as there should be, but that would be up to the powers that be.

hi there Bonus ill get the truth about him being banned, very intresting if that crew has been band and by who?????.

It would have to be Department of Primary Industries Fisheries.