Thread: yellabelly help

yellabelly help

Hi ALLwe are going toSomersett dam and my lady has never caught a yellabelly before nor have i what is the best rig and hook size and bait i know it is a big ask but some one may want to help us cheerMaryry and snap

Re: yellabelly help

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    Hi ALLwe are going toSomersett dam and my lady has never caught a yellabelly before nor have i what is the best rig and hook size and bait i know it is a big ask but some one may want to help us cheerMaryry and snap
    Mate ,
    Hard to go past live shrimp .
    Shawn

a simple rig always worked best for me - running sinker down to a 2/0 to 4/0 hook, no swivel or trace. I always found a freshwater cray/yabbie/lobby as best bait though shrimps are pretty good too. Yabbies are usually easy to catch - just turn a few rocks over in the shallows and they should be there. And here's the big surprise... always found they worked better if you crush the cray and killed it rather than kept it alive on the hook. Must release the smell in the water a bit more. Anyway, good luck and hope you get into them.

I've found just crushing the claws does the job for some smell and keeps them alive for a bit of movement.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Keeping the claws on will usually ensure only the larger yellas will have a chew too.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Live shrimp underneath a float with no weight. Have your bait about a foot above the bottom. You'll find you'll bypass the majority of carp by having your bait a bit off the bottom as well. The shrimp traps you buy in Big W or Target are fine and work pretty easy. Don't stuff around with soap or whatever, just whack a bit of meat in it. Otherwise earthworms, about 2 or 3 on your hook to make a big wriggling mass.

If its clear, try using a spinner rig with the treble changed to a single 4/0 or 5/0, put a shrimp or yabbie on that baby and its deadly. Either troll deep or cast and retrieve allowing it to sink deep first. Retrieve as slow as will keep the spinner rotating. Without exaggeration this method has seen over 500 yellas in my trips over the years.

Cheers!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

That is interesting odes20, I was thinking of doing the same thing but with a spinnerbait, instead of having a skirt just a plain hook with a small yabby on it, might give it a try now. What sort of spinner do you use, just a normal celta type with the single blade?

If using live shrimp put 2 or 3 alive on the hook and use no sinker in still water, if they still wont go for it use a small ball sinker with some shrimp or a yabby and bob it up and down on bottom, yellas love the bobbing action.

I use celta style actually make my own have done for years. spinnerbaits are unnecessarily complicated. Most times I use a 5/0 or 6/0 and actually put the biggest crayfish I can get on them. Its quite amazing how they go for the big ones. You will catch them on small ones too but the big ones are better. try it and you will be suprised

Quote Originally Posted by gavwk View Post
    That is interesting odes20, I was thinking of doing the same thing but with a spinnerbait, instead of having a skirt just a plain hook with a small yabby on it, might give it a try now. What sort of spinner do you use, just a normal celta type with the single blade?

If using live shrimp put 2 or 3 alive on the hook and use no sinker in still water, if they still wont go for it use a small ball sinker with some shrimp or a yabby and bob it up and down on bottom, yellas love the bobbing action.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"