Thread: Tailor/Salmon Rod Reel.

Tailor/Salmon Rod Reel.

I have just been into my local tackle shop to get advice on a rod and reel combo for fishing for Salmon and Tailor in the surf.

Based on all the research I have done on previous Ausfish forums I was walking in there fairly interested in a GH Greenback.

I live in SEQLD. Have never fished for Tailor but have always wanted to. Don't have the gear as yet. This January I am heading to west coast of Tasmania for a weeks camping/fishing and want to get into the salmon.

I am not sure about the ratio of bait to lure fishing but I wanted a set up that could do both. Discussing this I was informed that while an outstanding bait fishing rod, the Greenback was not the most suitable rod for casting lures.

The rod/reel that was recommended to me were
    Shimano T-Curve COASTAL Revolution 13' or 12' (line weight 10-20kg) (lure weights 50-110 for the 12' and 70-140 for the 13')
    Shimano Ultegra 14000 XTC. Sold with two spools so can have a braid and mono set up.

They both looked great. Rod was good weight. They were pricey but within the price range. (B'day/Xmas present!). The rod is a bit heavier than what I had first thought I would be wanting but I am also interested in trying for Jewfish next winter so this rod would hopefully be sufficient for that as well.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any objections/suggestions before I got too excited and send the wife in to buy the rod.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jason

Re: Tailor/Salmon Rod Reel.

I'm no expert by any means, and in theory you went to a good tackle store with expert sales people, but I would have thought a 10-20Kg rod to be way too heavy.

Your original suggestion of the Greenback (6-10kg) would also be more than fine for the majority of the Jew you're likely to encounter.
    Personally, I'd go with the Greenback. However, that's just my opinion.

Must be some thing in the air. Just placed an order for a Revolution Coastal 1302 through MO's as they and everything else had 25%off.

Its the same blank that my Tiralejo 13ft OH rod is made off and whilst a SOLID rod they are quite sensitive as well. I also have a Ultegra XTC that will be going on this rod. I think it should be a good heavy combo. If the Tiralejo's are anything to go by I would flinch at casting much more than the rated weight with the Revolution Coastals
    I throw a decent star and a whole squid on the TIR1200C with a Torium 30 no worries at all. And from memory I think that's only rated to 110gms

Bear in mind I bought this knowing I have a Seajigger 315 - Stradic 5000 for lighter work and a handful of overheads for the rocks/beach

Also on the Gold coast as well

I went for a Daiwa sensor surf 1302. Good length at the butt and heavy action. (90-180g) for big baits and metals. Rod was very tip heavy so i moulded a lead weight (500g) shoved it where the sun don't shine, added an extra EVA grip and new end cap. Rod is balanced and casts weight like a mad thing. MMMMM it's a perty red colour to so it goes faster. 60cm tailor on the first outing at Straddie and used it exclusively on Fraser for multiple Tailor and a decent Jewie.

Hi Jason.

I've used a GH Greenback for the last 10 years. Always has a 600 something or other series Alvey on it.
    Hey,it works and works great.
    Solid enough to cast some weight and pillie without the tip bouncing around on the back swing.

I also use this combo to throw 45g to 65g slugs with back to back 4o hooks.
    Just a steady retrieve with the Alvey, no need to tear a shoulder muscle trying for the speed record.
    The tailor hit it hard.

If you get to Straddie, look up the bloke that makes the Slasher lures.
    They work.

Rod
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

IMHO.. buy an outfit weighted to the baits you are wanting to toss into the surf.. you can run a heavier weighted rod on lighter line with the addition of a double/leader rig... IE: run a double connected to a wind on leader (a couple of wraps on the reel) then put lighter line as the casting line. so you can really put some effort into casting with 30/40lb line on the reel but have 20lb line spin off the reel after the first 5 to 10 meters.... so what i mean is buy a rod weighted on casting not rated on actual line class..
    iIs what i used to do land based snapper fishing anyway,,
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!