Thread: importing lowrance - canada?

importing lowrance - canada?

Hi all,
    any sites with good prices to import lowrance SI units? Obviously geofencing an issue with the US units. what about canada? any websites? Also are they cheap in malaysia or singapore? I might be heading there soon

Re: importing lowrance - canada?

imo totally not worth it

yeah, it seems the prices here are similar. Humminbird or Furuno especially worth it, lowrance not.

i have a humminbird 898c and 998c sitting at work that customers asked if i could get looked at. but simple answer is... humminbird wont touch them if they are US units. so well they are more than happy to send them back to the states but yeah.

Geofence. Enough said. Why would you bother IMHO
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Nslfishing View Post
    Geofence. Enough said. Why would you bother IMHO
    because they are very expensive for what they are. If I was after a straight sounder I would import a furuno and gladly send back to the states if ever there was an issue. Which is unlikely because they are reliable unlike lowrance and humminbird, which are crappy. Lowrance dont even repair. Their previous units (lms range) buttons used to suffer from water ingress, and you had to replace the entire unit due to faulty buttons which were a design fault. Currently you cant buy a HDS12 because there is a recall on the screens. They truly are churned out overpriced peices of shxt that no commercial operator would ever use. BUT I want side imaging. I think the lowrance beats the humminbird, but they are no cheaper from the states. Humminbird are so much cheaper it is worth the risk. even with their reliability issues.

another option is wait till local bcf has a club ningt the last 3 i hane been to have had 20% off lowrance units and if they do not have in stock thet will order in at the discounted price. that way you get it at a better price and full aussie warranty
    cheers
    ray
    if you purchase from canada get the international model the are not geofenced

Interesting point. While I was in Canada last year I noticed that the Humminbirds were Metric/Imperial like ours. All US models are imperial only.
    I'm with the others. Lowrance would be the last brand to import. I have imported plenty of Garmin stuff but they have aligned their prices down to overseas and there is no need to import them.

another thing that shxts me about lowrance is that after 5 years if it fails you have to throw away. thats right. 2 years warranty. 3 years pro rata payment scheme because they dont repair. They have to offer this because of consumer law. If you pay a lot for something, consumer law states it must last a reasonably long time, even after warranty. by offering the 5 year thing they are covered. If you have a faulty button or something after 5 years, just chuck your $3600 unit away and buy another one.

its not a bad scheme actually. its kinda win win
    after 4 years. .pay a token amount to get a new unit " and being lowrance brings out new stuff about once a year.. thats not to bad".. and it restarts your warranty program

lowrance wins because it keeps you a customer
    you win because you always have the best.. for not a lot of coin... and always in warranty.

really? My LMS unit failed just out of warranty. replacement was $50 less than the BCF sale price. I had to persue my rights under statutory warranty laws. then they gave it to me at their 'cost' or so they said. was still a fair bit. (i think about $580)

Care to schedule some examples of the token upgrade fee?
    Like I said, my upgrade fee for a 2.2 year old unit was $50 less than the bcf sale price

the LMS series predates the 5 year advantage scheme "i belive"
    upgrade cost on a 2 year old hds7 non touch gen 2 to a hds7 touch about $380

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    the LMS series predates the 5 year advantage scheme "i belive"
    upgrade cost on a 2 year old hds7 non touch gen 2 to a hds7 touch about $380
    in or out of warranty?makes a big difference. (within 2 years is warranty so like for like swap if you don't want to upgrade and upgrade prices are less)

mate they have had a pro rata upgrade scheme for years in one form or another

contact me i help you
    telegram @GeoLeo7