Thread: Crays

Question Crays

It has been awhile since I have been out targetting crays but someone mentioned to me that all crays caught need to have a hole punched through the tail. I kind of remember something about that but have been unknowingly 'giving it to the man' by not doing this when I've returned home with crays. Tried the fisheries website with no luck. Not sure whether the rule was changed like they did with the pec fin removal with fish.

Can someone clear this up for me before my luck runs out?

Re: Crays

Hey mate,

I have never heard this and have been pulled up one more then a few occasions by the fisheries at the ramp with a boat limit of crays.

None of them have ever mentioned that, I just know they cant be alive.

Benny

Here is the link re the hole in the tail. Just scroll down to where it says Possessing crustaceans and crabmeat

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...s-and-lobsters

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Hey mate,

I have never heard this and have been pulled up one more then a few occasions by the fisheries at the ramp with a boat limit of crays.

None of them have ever mentioned that, I just know they cant be alive.

Benny

Hey Benny B.
    I have not seen or read anywhere that crabs cant be alive. Can you point me in the right direction to where this is written.
    Cheers.

Gon Fishun

This is what it says for live and dead crab.

Possessing crustaceans and crabmeat
    A person must not possess:
    • mud or blue swimmer crabs with the carapace (shell) missing (this includes possessing claws without the rest of the crab)

Lobsters

• live tropical rock lobsters - fishers who catch tropical rock lobster are required to remove the central flap of the tail or puncture the flap with a hole at least 10mm in diameter
    If you have already cooked the crab ready to eat then the statement below is correct

crabmeat - unless the crab with a missing shell or the crabmeat is for immediate consumption

Bondy