Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catfish on the rise in the bay?

Re: Catfish on the rise in the bay?

Went out to Mud on Sunday early again. Same spot. No catfish this time (thank god) but two keeper squire (38 and 42 cm) and two legal moses perch. Hopefully the catties are gone. Or at very least, gone quiet. :-)

We fished off Woody Point on Saturday and caught four catfish. Got them all within five minutes then nothing for another hour.

Well two years later almost to the day, and another repeat performance of those catfish. Caught about 10 at Mud Island on the weekend. On fresh bait, old bait, live bait. They were just everywhers and on everything.And not just the Eastern side - also got them in the Northern side near the yellow beacon as well.

Must be a seasonal thing - I wil be marking October as a high risk month for catties thats for sure. Some really big ones amongst them pushing close to a metre as well - certainly gets the blood pumping at first. But once you notice the lack of the characteristic snapper head shake you pretty well know what it is. After the fourth or fifth one you do at least :-).

Oh well, maybe will try again in a few weeks time to see if they've gone. Anyone else see heaps of catties out the bay in recent weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by acronin View Post
    Well two years later almost to the day, and another repeat performance of those catfish. Caught about 10 at Mud Island on the weekend. On fresh bait, old bait, live bait. They were just everywhers and on everything.And not just the Eastern side - also got them in the Northern side near the yellow beacon as well.

Must be a seasonal thing - I wil be marking October as a high risk month for catties thats for sure. Some really big ones amongst them pushing close to a metre as well - certainly gets the blood pumping at first. But once you notice the lack of the characteristic snapper head shake you pretty well know what it is. After the fourth or fifth one you do at least :-).

Oh well, maybe will try again in a few weeks time to see if they've gone. Anyone else see heaps of catties out the bay in recent weeks?

i got one at mud over xmas on a floater mullet fillet that was huge, close to 1m. Made the mistake of pulling him in the boat to de hook him. the smell was insane. Had us both dry reaching ha ha. Went hard too, didn't know what I had until it surfaced