Thread: Heading up to tin can bay next week crabbing advice

Heading up to tin can bay next week crabbing advice

Heading up to tin can bay next week and wondering if there are any muddies up there or just sand crabs? I’ll be taking the boat up and launching for the boat ramp. Any good spots that anyone knows of? first time.

Re: Heading up to tin can bay next week crabbing advice

Up Teebar crk near the house boats near the drop of you can get both types also along the northern side of the red markers coming in you will need about ten meters of rope out there its a bit deeper also bit of current out there.

Be warned... lots of pot thieving and share farming goes on around there. I had 2 pots flogged a few weeks ago up Kauri Creek. We didn't have much luck with the muddies but got a nice feed of sandcrabs out the front of Teebar Creek.

Im not saying none get flogged but i have seen plenty drift out in the channel and also with the currents in some places the floats get pulled under if the rope is to short even in the creeks this happens. I have even had them pop up after a couple of days so you have to be careful where you put them good luck.

Hasn't been too many muddies around the last 3 weeks. Sandies are a bit of hit and miss. There were some good ones coming out of pelican bay about 6 weeks ago. Yes plenty of share farmers and thiefs. They tend to leave the pots alone out in the open. Up the creeks is a different story.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Mate the creek up behind Bullock Point might be worth a look. I"d be looking for the drains in the creek with the tides, but if you plan to leave them overnight you want to stay with them. Otherwise i can guarantee they will be checked. I carry a Slingshot mate just in case but hav'nt used it thus far.