Thread: Transferring Waypoints

Transferring Waypoints

Is there anyway of saving and transferring waypoints from old Lowrance GPS/CP to new one? Thanks.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Re: Transferring Waypoints

Lowrance have a free download http://www.lowrance.cn/en/Downloads/...a-Manager-GDM/ for your computer load a blank sd card in the old one download your marks to it and you can then upload to your pc and the new unit
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Stuie is on the money but one thing is to use as small an SD card as possible. The older lowrance units (I have one) don't like the larger cards. I think you will find it hard to get smaller than 1gig but if you have a smaller one use it.

1. Firsly how old is old?

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. Firsly how old is old?
    Older than the first HDS series in particular.

And yes, the advice to use as small a card as possible is correct.

You have to remember that only a few years ago, SD cards were considered "big" if they were 128k capacity! So the older Lowrance units were designed to only take cards of a size that was around when the particular unit came onto the market. Otherwise you can have problems.

By the way, gimme, I think you can simply save your waypoints, icons etc onto a SD card in the old unit, then pop the card into the new Lowrance HDS unit and do the upload direct, without having to first copy themto PC. Give it a go, anyway, and see how you go.

Otherwise, GDM is a useful bit of software to allow you to backup your waypoints etc on your PC. It is a very good ifea to do this every 6 months just in case ypur GPS carks it, gets flogged, etc. or you need to send it in to het serviced and dont want to share all those secret spots with the guys from Lowrance!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Wow thanks guys, never knew you could do that. Now got to check my manual on how to copy onto SD card. Hope they got a MAc version of the GDM.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Mate would help heaps if you gave us the model. Someone could probably talk you through it.

Moving date from GlobalMap5200C to HDS5m. Already saved data on SD card, seems straightforward enough. Installed GPS Data Mgr but it wouldn't let me import data from SD, error something to do with "illegal Lat/long..."???? I'll try to stick SD directly into HDS tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again.

Data successfully moved from old GM5200C to HDS5m, SD to SD card direct without need for PC software. Simple process. You're right ML, Data Mgr software not needed but seems like useful if only I can get it to work. It doesn't seem to want to import or open the saved data file for reasons unknown.

When you save it to the Sd card, there are a couple of options on the save screen as to which version you save it as.

Only one of them will work with GDM, but buggered if I can remember which one! So, save it 3 times to the Sd card, each using a different version and different file name so you can tell the difference.

I presume youve downloaded and installed GDM. That being the case, begore you dtart GDM, put the SD card into your computer and copy the files into the "data" folder under GDM.

Then start up GDM, select open files, find the files in the data folder, and try each one. The wrong versions will probebly cause GDM to crash or stop working, just restart it and try the next one.

That should get you sorted.

The other thing that can get GDM excited is if you have saved long plot trails and are trying to import them. Worst case is to delete all trails, then save the file to the SD card. That usually fixes that problem.

GDM is clunky, crashes a bit, and can be sensitive to doing things like reading files direct from an SD card, but hey, its free, and if you persist, it will do most things that ypu want.

Ive been using it for years to manage my waypoints, save them, change names, input new waypoints ive got from other people and upload them to my HDS and priot to that, my earlier lowrance and Eagle units. It does the job.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....