Thread: Simrad or Something Else?

Simrad or Something Else?

I have been out of boating for a couple of years since I sold my Signature 702L and starting my own business, but am getting close to coming back into the fold.

So in the last few years what has happened with electronics? What is the best brand now with all of the new technology?

Will need a full suite including plotter, sounder, radar and autopilot all networked together.

My personal preference would be Simrad.

Any feedback?

Re: Simrad or Something Else?

Mate send chocolatemoose a pm,get his contact and talk to him very helpfull,and knows his stuff.
    CHEERS AND BEERS

i think i had a pretty chockablock message box... all emptied now
    side note.. being an uncle is pretty cool

well ok so the major changes in the past few years have mirrored that of other technology
    screens are better
    processing power is higher
    multitasking is easier
    and well.. price has come down "i paid 200 dollars for a 2gb memory stick in 2005 :S"

to have all those networked your in the ball park. simrad and garmin are native to autopilot and radar etc. both work very well. both have pros and cons

simrad "read navico... lowrance/b&g" has a few more sonar options "read side scan"
    garmin has CHIRP pretty easily obtained out of the box

simrad has touch screen with decent tactile buttons "usefull for when your moving around on the boat"
    garmin has pinch to zoom and makes moving around maps easier

simrad can run navionics and jeppesen Cmap cards allowing for cheap to expensive map options
    garmin comes built in with aus/nz maps with the options of groovy 3d mapping and inland "read coastal aswell" maps

it all comes down to budget. both brands "and a few others" offer units into the 5 figure price range. in which case " can i be your new friend

in the 7" bracket. which is fast becoming the introduction "and best value" size
    the NSS7 form simrad and the GARMIN 751XS would be the pick of the bunch

the simrad is cheaper . but the sonar with the chirpTM150 transducer on the garmin is farrr better.

ummm well yeah.. both simrad and garmin have good auto pilot units, the smartpump from garmin is the easiest to install and operate. but its pricey
    both have good HD radars

here are some videos ive made showing... well a few things interesting.

feel free to shoot through any questions
    Moose

I always thought Garmin were the easiest to use with the best charts, but didn't have very good fish finder capabilities. Seems this may have changed with CHIRP. Am partial to the Simrad NSE12 with Navionics Platinum+ charts and the 4G radar though.

My old man has an NSE12 on his 38' displacement boat, hut he uses a Furuno FCV-585 for his sounder and a TMQ autopilot. Just uses the Simrad for a chart plotter.

And Moose thanks for the detailed response. Appreciated.

Moose, great presentation, shows the diff between all the brands.
    CHEERS AND BEERS

Done a bit more research and still like the idea of Simrad.