Thread: Timber grip

Timber grip

Timber grip, main body is purple heart, white trims are African ash, ends of each grip are Black Tasmanian oak. These grips are not heavy at all, in fact they incredibly light. Plus they offer a positive grip, they fill your hand as a grip should do, and they offer Superior accuracy. Around 5 hours to make. PA250483.JPGPA250481.JPGPA250479.JPGPA250478.JPGPA250477.JPG

Re: Timber grip

That's awesome work Stu. Only 5 hours you say? Would take me forever!

You should build rods for a living! Nice work.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Look great with one of those special wraps that Stu does........
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

Not wrong Mark. I reckon I could help him out with that!!!
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

very nice mate...love the colours

Im thinking seriously about making and selling these bad boys. They would be in the vicinity of $90 per grip though.

Stuart,

Great work.
    How did you cut the curve to fit the reel seat?

Made a jig where, after the grip is shaped in the lath, it's then placed inside the jig where its sanded to shape. Its not 100% perfect shape, I still need to hand sand a few little spots in order to get it sitting just right. They are very fiddly to make, but well worth it in the end.

Hey Stu they look a really top bit of gear and well worth the $90. They are very similar to the grips Paul Kneller used to make quite a few years ago. I don't know if he is still doing them though.

I worked in with Paul many years ago, but his attention was on his new tackle shop. So, I began making them myself not long after. I was only making them for mates but now I will offer them to the general public. I have a few other designs I have come up with, they still need a bit of refining though.

The more I look at it the more I like it , Stuart that is some mighty fine workmenship , do you make a casting reel seat ?

I do mate, but I haven't quite finished it just yet, not far off though.