Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lowrance 3000 or 4000 gps antenna

lowrance 3000 or 4000 gps antenna

Hi
    I am looking for one of the above puck antennas,if someone has one that they want to sell please PM me.

Regards Hinchy

Re: lowrance 3000 or 4000 gps antenna

1. Manufacturers can deisgn commerical GNSS antenna that have considerable life spans yet recreational manufacturers have this bad habit of discontinuing equipment after a very short time frame and then release a new product, new name that essentially does the same thing but amazing is generally slightly incompatible and rarely backward compatible.

2. Good business model for the manufacturer, not so good for the poor old consumer, solution? maybe go for quality equipment in the first place without the itchy feet to change for the sake of change every 12 months in line with the rest that do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. Manufacturers can deisgn commerical GNSS antenna that have considerable life spans yet recreational manufacturers have this bad habit of discontinuing equipment after a very short time frame and then release a new product, new name that essentially does the same thing but amazing is generally slightly incompatible and rarely backward compatible.
    Ever so helpful once again.........

1. Yes as per usual ..... to the jones type the advice is also free

Quote Originally Posted by hinchy View Post
    Hi
    I am looking for one of the above puck antennas,if someone has one that they want to sell please PM me.

Regards Hinchy
    Do a search on Ebay plenty there mate.

whitworths also sell the 4000's brand new as far as im aware. the 4000 also has a better refresh rate giving you more accurate boat positions.

"the 4000 also has a better refresh rate giving you more accurate boat positions."

1. Interesting comment? Could you explain then why a better refresh rate gives more accurate positions?

"the 4000 also has a better refresh rate giving you more accurate boat positions."

1. Interesting comment? Could you explain then why a better refresh rate gives more accurate positions?
    Unless I am interpreting your comment incorrectly it would appear that once again you are showing yourself to be an "armchair" expert. Anyone who has used an older GPS with a slower refresh rate would appreciate the issue of the GPS showing you where you were rather than a position closer to where you are. In the real world this is a significant issue
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

1. Yes you just could be interpreting this one incorrectly. Lets put it this way then, a higher refresh rate will certainly give more positions even thou some units lacking computing power will output the same position for several sequential intervals just to give a false representation but this is not the point here.

2. Faster refresh rate, ok more more points, gives output like SOG, COG, Heading quicker updates but the connection was to improving accuracy, so the query remains open, how does a higher refresh rate improve accuracy. Hint GPS accuracy is not a function of the refresh rate

Looks like SATNAV's fishing for an equine today......

1. Sounds like there are a few who don't really understand what accuracy is? Don't be shy if you don't, it is easy to get confused in the context re refresh rates.

I have a couple of lowrance gps antennas but wouldna have a clue what model they are. Upload a Pic or link and i will be able to tell you if they are what you are after??.

1. Sounds like there are a few who don't really understand what accuracy is? Don't be shy if you don't, it is easy to get confused in the context re refresh rates.
    The only "accuracy" any fisherman is looking for is how accurately the display is representing the position of the vessel at a given moment. A slow refresh rate is never going to "accurately" depict the current position of the vessel as regularly as one refreshing more rapidly.
    The function of a GPS unit is to provide accurate information concerning current position along with SOG and COG. A unit that fails to refresh fast enough is inaccurately representing this information to the user
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Looks like SATNAV's fishing for an equine today......
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Strike on the short rigger

I think I need to go fishing
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

1. Oh how some are confused with the term "accuracy" and the specific reference here between refresh rates and accuracy.

2. A good anology with accuracy is something like Loran as it could put a vessel over the same mark "Repeatably" but in terms of accuracy Loran had an accuracy no better than about 1/4 mile. Repeatability and accuracy are quite different terms and unrelated to refresh rate.

3. What some are referring to, what they are thinking and what they are really meaning to say are different things. Quite understandable that some get a tad confused with the term accuracy.