Thread: G'day AusFishios

G'day AusFishios

First post even though I registered a while back. Poor excuse but have been busy moving family across the ditch, renovating, finding our way around, settling into the routine, etc, etc so haven't spend much time out on the Bay yet but hopefully that's all about to change. Started fishing 40 years ago, nothing I love to do more than a few hours out on the river, lake or sea. Have dabbled in all sorts of angling techniques over the years including live baiting, trolling, jigging, lure casting and especially in recent years SPs and flying fishing. While my 6 years living in Taupo, NZ and fly fishing the Tongariro counts as one of my best experiences, I equally look forward to exploring the Bay and creating some more memories. Got my own CC and a Yammy F150. So far been to the usual suspects, Peel, Mud, Harrys, Rous, etc. for a few hours each time for a look see. Lots to learn and places to explore so looking forward to it. Please go easy on me if occasionally you find me asking some basic questions here. Also if you guys are ever desperate for a deckie, you know who to PM. I'm semi-retired so would prefer weekdays, weekends being a family day. I'm a reasonably experienced boatie and will of course do what is normally expected of a deckie. We could of course take my boat out as well but seeing that so far my experience has been limited to the usual picnic spots, it is not something that I would recommend to you hardcore types. Hope I didn't bore you with this somewhat lengthy intro that is if you're still reading at this stage. Hope to meet some of you guys or see you out there soon. TIGHT LINES!
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Re: G'day AusFishios

Welcome aboard, Gimme5!
    Whilst I can't help you on the boating experience side of things, stuck as I am down south of the border, (VIC), I can tell you that the members here are far more generous with their time and experience that we have a right to expect. They're a great bunch! From my first posts only 5-6 weeks ago, I've already been offered deckie positions when I holiday on the GC soon. Enjoy the ride!

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Gimme5...as the saying goes welcome aboard. As Robfish has said, members here are a great bunch, of course you will soon workout who to stir up and get a reaction from but it is all mostly done in good humour. Watch out for the one who catches all the crabs, he gets a bit cranky when you follow him around and steal his locations lol.

Sorry I can't help you with the bay stuff as I am in Maroochydore but you will have no trouble organising trips with fellow ausfishers. Geez, even the cranky crabber might take you out, I do believe he is that good that he has started growing a claw on one hand.

I have been to a few meetngreets which I would recommend you attend or just rock up and meet a few of the blokes, especially if you enjoy a cold drop on a hot day or a cold night. Many of the questions that you said you will probably ask will almost certainly have been asked somewhere in the site before but In my opinion it is good to ask again as it refreshes everyone on the subject and gets new members to add their experience and answers to the questions.
    Anyway welcome, good luck and enjoy a great fishing site and club.
    Oh you may want to raise the question why we don't have an Ausfish Flag to identify our members when out on the water.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Thanks for the welcome. Not sure who this cranky crabber you are referring to but you'll find that I'm not the sort that would sneak around and poach other fishios top secret spots. I put in the hard yards, always have and always will. Threw in a couple of pots for the first time the other day because "she who must be obeyed" wanted a feed, took home 9 Sandies and CNR another 6. Pretty happy with that. I'm a very relaxed sort of person, life's too short for politics and aggravation. I just enjoy the new experience and acquiring new knowledge. I like exchanging ideas and learning from others what I don't know. For instance while I've been boating for many years, I have never attempted crossing a bar (something I would like to learn one day), one of the reasons being I often fish solo and the other reason being I usually go out only for half a day due to family and work commitments. Like I said before, I'm more than happy to take people out on my boat but my local knowledge of Moreton BAy is somewhat limited for now and I don't want to waste people's time. In the past when I do take people out, often I enjoy just skippering for them. I don't even bother to fish myself. So long as the boat catches, that's all that counts. The upcoming M&G sounds like a ball. Would love to go as a deckie except I probably wouldn't be able extricate myself for 4 days. Wouldn't mind doing an overnighter though.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Have you attended to all the "legal" requirements since moving across such as a boat licence, being aware of boating regulations, bag limits and legal lengths etc? You probably have.

TOL

Hey mate welcome. I was in your boat (pun intended) about 6 years ago when I moved to QLD. Took quite some time to learn my way around the bay and offshore. Cant recommend enough the benefits of the M&Gs. You get knowledge, drunk and laughs all in one package. Its also getting to that time of the year where you can access large fish very close to the South Passage Bar. Well worth poking your nose out if ya get a chance. Mackeral, Marlin, Wahoo, GTs, Tuna, Cobia all within 10kms or closer of the bar! Good luck with it and don't worry about being a Kiwi. You have a Yamaha so we'll forgive you. If you had an etec........

Boat license? What's that for? I know bag limits......no problem at Masters but bloody Bunnings won't even give me one!

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    Have you attended to all the "legal" requirements since moving across such as a boat licence, being aware of boating regulations, bag limits and legal lengths etc? You probably have.

TOL

Hey Jason. I can do that, SPB sounds like my cup of tea. Would need company though, don't think I want to shoot through the bar first time or anytime on my own unless it's flat calm which probably never happens, or at least never happens on the day I'm out fishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    Hey mate welcome. I was in your boat (pun intended) about 6 years ago when I moved to QLD. Took quite some time to learn my way around the bay and offshore. Cant recommend enough the benefits of the M&Gs. You get knowledge, drunk and laughs all in one package. Its also getting to that time of the year where you can access large fish very close to the South Passage Bar. Well worth poking your nose out if ya get a chance. Mackeral, Marlin, Wahoo, GTs, Tuna, Cobia all within 10kms or closer of the bar! Good luck with it and don't worry about being a Kiwi. You have a Yamaha so we'll forgive you. If you had an etec........

I'm not the sort that would sneak around and poach other fishios top secret spots.
    Well this isnt the site for you then.....jokin

Welcome aboard to Ausfish mate,
    If you have any questions fire away, everyone in here knows everything.....

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    Well this isnt the site for you then.....jokin

Welcome aboard to Ausfish mate,
    If you have any questions fire away, everyone in here knows everything.....

cheers
    All except me , I know SFA.
    Shawn

Some of us know even more than everything..........

What do you think of Etecs?

TOL

LOL...... that question TOL will decide if he sinks or swims.

welcome mate. us aussies are happy to shear our fush with our kiwi cuzzy bros. you are however prohibited from posting any reports that contain 6 fish as this is a g rated site.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!