Thread: Tuff days fishing

Tuff days fishing

The wind in Weipa is still persisting and difficult to read. I managed to get out on the weekend leaving at 2:30 in the morning hoping for calm seas. After pounding my 4.7m Trailcraft across some steep swell I started bottom bashing looking for fingermark. By 9am I had pulled anchor on about 15 marks and had one fish in the box . Good exercise. I like to flick slugs at bait balls so am always watching the skies. Eventually I found one but only got close enough for a brief moment, 2 or 3 casts with no hits. The birds that were moving about were spread out and sitting high so I thought the fish they were following must be spread out with little bait to work so I switched to trawling some RMG's and X-Raps. SUCCESS sort of, the first run was on a spin bottom bashn outfit, as I casually turned clicked the motor into nutural enjoying the sound of the reel screaming turned back and pulled the rod free from its holder and TWANG went the line "Shit" the line had reached a knot where the backing started and the knot snapped on one of the eye's. I'm sure there are several lessons in there. The next bite came on my GT T-curve and Saltiga outfit, far better equipped this time. I played the Mack to the boat three times each time loosening the drag ready for the fish to scream off on another run, when I was sure it was ready I gaffed it in the cheek (stoked with that) and brought it on deck. It went 114cm about 17kg This Mackarel took a X-Rap Saltwater in bright green, the fifth Mackarel for that particular lure and the last as this guy had managed to chew up the lure and pull the through wire out destroying it. Tuff day but I was happy with the result.
    October Mack Dyfken 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Tuff days fishing

Nice Spanish buddy.

Re: Tuff days fishing

nice fish mate, the wind down here is driving me nuts as well...