Thread: Some Hydrofoil Feedback

Some Hydrofoil Feedback

Hi all,
    The last few weeks I have been looking at old posts about hydrofoils. Lots of different opinions and experiences. I previously had a Permatrim on a 21ft boat I had powered with a 150hp Ocean Runner and found it made little difference. Anyway I now have a Haines V146 just under 15 ft with a 50hp Yamaha on the back. It flys once on the plane but struggles quite a bit (bow up in the air) to get up there especially when heavily loaded. Someone on another thread said don't spend the money on a Permatrim or an SE300 or simalr just try the Lalizas LZ as it is much cheaper and does the same job.
    Anyway I bought a Lalizas LZ for $49.95 and put it on and tried it yesterday. The difference is huge ! It now gets on the plane at much lower revs. Moving at slow speeds the boat levels out much better. I don't seem to have lost any manouverability either. Punched home from the sandhills yesterday in some chop and steerage was the same.
    Obviously the same result could have been achieved by me buying a bigger motor, but for $49.95 wasn't needed.
    So thumbs up to the Lalizas LZ Hydrofoil from me.

Re: Some Hydrofoil Feedback

My 6.25m deep V aluminium plate boat had the hydrofoil on 175hp Suzy and it worked fine.
    I had the transom completely rebuilt and engine mount was lower than previous so I thought try the boat without hydrofoil and I took it off the motor.
    2 trips later the foil was added back on and yes it is much much better with it on for a number of reasons including cavitation and lift of transom at lower speeds and just stability of the boat at any speed.
    My boat does have trim tabs as well.
    I also thought the hydrofoil may have slowed the boat some - it did not slow it at all as with no foil same top speed reached as with foil.
    Cheers

Trev

I've owned 3 boats and a hydrofoil is the first thing I buy. The difference in getting up on the plane etc is definatly worth it for the small amount of cash involved IMO.

Cheers Nic

All positive for me too with foils. I have used them on tinnie to bigger boats and it all good. I've only heard good things about Lalizas LZ Hydrofoils.