Thread: Camping on big woody island

Camping on big woody island

just starting to plan a overnight trip with the boys over at big woody island camp ground has anyone done this any info would be great, hitting the artificial reef cannot wait

Re: Camping on big woody island

I have Jamie. A very good spot, I nailed some nice mixed bags of fish off the beach and rocks as well as a few odds and sods from the boat. From memory I produced about a dozen species of edible fish from the shore.

Camped there about five years ago on the SE side of the island. The spot is a bit hard to find as it is not too easy to see from the water (especially in the dark). No facilities, but good grassy spot just off the beach with plenty of shade. There is a pebbly/sand beach in front that is exposed to strong SEers but it backs straight into deep water, so depending on your boat, you can either anchor out a bit with a pulley to get it back on higher tide, but ideally you would want something that can be dragged up and down the beach. The tide fairly belts through there so make sure the anchoring is very good.

Good spot and very close to the artis.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Great spot, and some big critters cruise through there!

Cuzza

sounds wicked I have a 4.m half cab quintrex so it is easy to move etc I know the camping ground can been seen from ocean by day but have never gone in for a closer look is there any obstacles to watch out for rocks etc, what was the midgy situation like i'm so stocked that some of you guys have done this before and to get a good batch of big game fish would be awesome to, I read that you cannot have an open fire gas only is this correct

Midges were pretty thick when I was there, but the highlight was some top quality horse flies. Some real trophy specimens.

well the boys will be entertained if they get to slap happy they might break out a line dance, nothing abit of repellent wont handle gonna be awesome just need some less windy conditions bloody wind every wend if worse case happens we'll throw a sicky from work and just go